Tuesday, March 21, 2023

A Reader Review

Frequent Contributor and East Coast FH Rep Shelley Sweet-Tufano has sent us a recent concert review ...

And it's NOT Peter Noone this time!!!  (lol)

Check it out!

I have never seen Jay and the Americans do a show as the only performers on the bill. Tonight I have, and as I heard from so many others in the audience:  "THEY WERE GREAT!" "I loved the banter and all the stories." I smile because I knew it would be a great show, and also because I was a bit surprised myself.

I am so proud of Milford Performing Center for bringing the artists I want to see to the newly renovated Veterans Memorial Auditorium. In November we had Herman's Hermits starring Peter Noone. Tonight, I watch Jay and the Americans. In April, Gary Puckett appears and Peter Noone is being brought back this coming November. Also waiting to confirm a date is the 52nd Street Band, Billy Joel's original group. Now that we have an updated performance hall, my dreams have come through to reality. Thank you, Steve Cooper! Tonight's show is a benefit for Probus of New Haven, who help people with disabilities. 

'Only In America' is the only way for a group with 'Americans' in the title to begin their show. This song is a favorite of mine because it is upbeat, calls us to the dance floor and the words are a love song honoring "the land of opportunity."  "Would a classy girl like you, fall for a poor boy like me?" They had me at "classy."

'Sunday and Me,' 'Some Enchanted Evening' and 'Up On The Roof' follow. JATA were true fans of The Drifters, who recorded in the same studios as they. They are not doing tribute covers to other groups, but perform their own arrangements of songs that enriched their lives and are reminders of friends' triumphs. I wrote in my notes that tonight is a life and times trip from the vantage point of Jay and the Americans. Personalization that adds interest and information. 
 
Jay Reincke is introduced as Jay number 3 ... WAIT! Sandy is holding up 4 fingers! Is another 'Jay' coming forward? "I know you see 4 fingers, but this one has such bad arthritis, that it always sticks up." NO CB!, (Chew-on-that Boy), he means his pinky finger. 
 
The two original Americans, Marty Sanders and Sandy Deanne are introduced and I continue to ask myself, "Where is chick-magnet Howie Kane?" Sandy explains Howie was in a car accident and cracked his sternum, which at any age proffers an OUCH! He is on the mend and will return, but needs time to heal. 

Returning to memories of Jay #1, they sing 'She Cried,' followed by Roy Orbison favorites, 'Crying' and 'Pretty Woman.'  One of my favorite songs to hear performed by Marty and Sandy is 'Let It Be Me,' which now brings up sweet sentiments and memories. Wearing 45 rpm record inserts on chains around their necks, this song brings me to the beginnings of my listening to rock n roll ... first grade. 

Marty Sanders has personally told me the story of his introduction of Jay #2 (David Blatt) into the group after Jay Traynor left so as Sandy now tells it.  It is a familiar tale with an ending of Jay Black belting out 'Cara Mia.'  I would never want to follow that act with that song, but Jay Reincke is up to the task and the audience is wildly enthusiastic. What a way to end the first act! 

INTERMISSION

LET'S LOCK THE DOOR, or let's just listen to a song about locking the door. As I continue my comments, I hope it becomes obvious that it is the individual talent of each performer that has created the cohesion and musical quality that has sustained Jay and the Americans through 60 years of live performances. 

Jay Reincke has a love for Elvis (remember him? ... oh yeah, Kent talks about his ex-wife, daughter and granddaughter here.) In order to convince Marty, Sandy and Howie to add an Elvis tune to their set-list, he had to find a song that was recorded by The Drifters, as well as Mr. Presley. Due to songs being recorded and re-recorded by several groups in the 60's, he came up with 'Such a Night,' and they perform it next while Jay adds the swivel hips action that Ed Sullivan wouldn't allow shown on TV. 

Two slow and sensual hits are next: 'Stand By Me' and 'Walking in the Rain.'  OH such romance - only to be interrupted by 'Along Came Jones' - which was a surprise joy to me as Marty Sanders became Salty Sam and continuously grabbed and tied up poor Sweet Sue, who was then rescued each time by Tall Thin Jones. The lady sitting next to me apologized for singing along to each of the songs all night. I assured her I could not hear her over my own singing and fortunately Jay and the Americans were loud enough to drown us both out.

There were so many good stories, I want to tell them all, but in an effort to save on typing, (and encourage you to go see them), I will condense and give you tid-bits.

'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore,' written by and given to the Americans by a couple of Four Seasons. Were they the only ones who received these songs?
'Gimme Good Lovin'' is not the one from the Rascals, but those Crazy Elephants. 'Reelin' in the Years' might be a reminder that people you help in life could leave you and become something like ... I don't know ... Steely Dan?

There were sax solos, guitar solos, keyboard and drums. I want to give credit to the USA BAND but I don't have all their names. Here is what I do know:
Bass - Mark Baron;Keyboards - George Tuzzeo;Drums - Rick Van Horn;Sax & Trumpet - Marty and Dave (sorry no last names);Guitar - I was expecting Dave Zane, but this gentleman (whose name I did not hear) was excellent with his guitar solos.

Howie, we missed you, but your partners did you proud and mentioned you in their stories ... the most interesting being you dating all three Ronettes. Get well.

We need to close now (rats!)  So 'Come A Little Bit Closer' and the "knoodling" guitar of 'This Magic Moment' by Marty Sanders will be our farewell to a wonderful night.

Bye everyone!
Shelley J Sweet-Tufano