Monday, April 17, 2023

A Monday Morning Quickie

>>>I never liked the Roberta Flack song "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" … but when I hear the songwriter's wife sing the song he had written for her some 66 years ago in 1957, done in a new arrangement by her (#32 and rising on the Heritage Chart right now), it's just a new inspiration take on a really great song.  (Clark Besch)

My favorite version of that song is by Peter, Paul & Mary, from their 1965 album See What Tomorrow Brings.

– Randy Price

Chuck Buell Responds ...

Cupola Comments in Forgotten Hits yesterday about the song "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" ~~~

>>>I was NOT a big fan of the Roberta Flack #1 Hit “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” … the song was just SO slow … seemed to go on forever … I couldn’t helpi thinking, “What if I were to die right now … and this was the last song I ever heard?!?!?”   (kk)

And another ~~~

>>>I never liked the Roberta Flack song "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (Clark Besch)

(no reason given)

But then ~~~

"Regarding Chuck Buell’s IN YOUR FACE Minute Medley … If you could have seen my face, you would know you made me smile."  (Shelley)

Thanx, Shelly! Glad you liked it!  It's not easy being a Romantic like you and I ( and apparently, Clint Eastwood! ) are in this otherwise cold, harsh world we live in today, is it . . .  ?!

Anyway, in the interest of equal time, I thought the opposing comments about the song were Fine, Fair and Funny Opinions!  In fact, MY first take (ever) on the song was also not very positive either!  But I can still remember that knowing it was going to be in the movie "Play Misty For Me," I paid particular attention to it when it played in the film's soundtrack. Perhaps in a darkened movie theater, I got caught up "in the moment" and in the context of the story because after that is when I began to like it.  

And still do.

This from the Guy (me!) who thought the Beatles' two-week Number One Song, "The Long and Whiney Road" was a terrible song! And, if anything should have been thrown off the Tallahatchie Bridge, Simon and Garfunkel's six-week Number One Song, "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" should have been!  All those songs are just "SO long and slow ... and seem to go on forever . . . "  {:~}

CB ( which stands for "Can't-Please-Everybody Boy! )

I intended to send this email last week, but it slipped my mind.

Former Secret Service Agent Clint Hill has written several books about his experience protecting the Kennedy family, and he's active on Facebook with interesting bits that supplement his books and tell more of the story. Last Monday, he posted a comment that until he saw the Beach Boys Grammy Special on TV last Sunday Night, he had no idea the song "The Warmth Of The Sun" was written on the night and morning after the assassination of President Kennedy. He says that almost sixty years after the event, rarely does a day go by that he isn't reminded of that tragic, fateful day. 

David Lewis

Then you definitely should send him this link!!!  (lol)

http://forgottenhits.com/the_story_behind_the_warmth_of_the_sun

 

For a quick Four Seasons history lesson, you may want to check out this amazing article that someone put up from Rolling Stone!  Nice history lesson on a great band, altho the headline a bit misleading as Frankie Valli DOES sing lead on half the song.

Clark Besch 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/four-seasons-oh-what-a-night-singer-1234704728/

 

Stop tempting me to buy that $550 Four Seasons Box Set we talked about the other day!!!

 

Seriously ... check out this track list ... spread out over 44 discs!!!  (kk)

https://www.amazon.com/Working-Our-Way-Back-You/dp/B0B6WMZS5Y/ref=sr_1_9?crid=5ER95D0EI3ON&keywords=four+seasons&qid=1681728603&s=music&sprefix=%2Cpopular%2C81&sr=1-9