Thursday, May 25, 2023

TINA TURNER

Music has lost another icon ...

And love has absolutely EVERYTHING to do with it.

Tina Turner died yesterday at the age of 83.

 

Anna Mae Bullock made her name as Tina Turner, first as the shake-your-stuff, raspy-voiced vocalist in The Ike and Tina Turner Revue back in the 1960's ... 

And then again as a solo artist in the 1980's, when she scored six Top Ten Hits of her own, far eclipsing Ike and Tina's own recording career accomplishments. 

She was, without question, one of the sexiest women to ever perform on stage ... 

But she backed that image up with pure, raw talent ... and was in demand as a vocal partner as well.

(Much has been made over the years about The Jimi Hendrix Experience opening for The Monkees on their tour in 1967 ...

But DIDJAKNOW that ANOTHER opening act for The Pre-Fab Four earlier that same year was The Ike and Tina Turner Revue?!?!

One has to wonder if any 11, 12 or 13 year old girl attending those concerts back in the day was affected by seeing this dynamic band perform ... or if they were simply so enthralled at the prospect of seeing their teeny-bop heroes, they even noticed!)

Tina's relationship with Ike can be discussed some other day ... it's the kind of story that Academy Award Winning Movies are made about.  Today, we celebrate all of her accomplishments. 

The twice-inducted Rock And Roll Hall of Famer enjoyed a stellar career, DESPITE all of the obstacles thrown her way ... whether it be the racism that existed throughout our country when she was just breaking into the business or the spousal abuse she endured later in life.

Today, we celebrate that life ... and all the joy she brought us.

As expected, tributes have been pouring in ...

Here are just a few ...

“I’m so saddened by the passing of my wonderful friend Tina Turner. She was truly an enormously talented performer and singer. She was inspiring, warm, funny and generous. She helped me so much when I was young and I will never forget her." - Mick Jagger

“So so heartbroken to hear that Tina Turner has passed away. I knew she has been ill but never thought this day would come. Tina and I were close back in the day. We both recorded “River Deep, Mountain High,” worked with Phil Spector, performed on Shindig together and broke into the business around the same time. There will NEVER be a performer like Tina Turner again! She was one of a kind!! Icon, legend, warm-hearted, hard working, legs for days, hitmaker, pioneer, hardest working artist, survivor!! She was simply the BEST! " - Darlene Love

"I loved her version of 'Proud Mary.' It was different and fantastic. I was also so happy because she chose my song and it was her breakthrough record.” - John Fogerty

“I’ll be forever grateful for the time we spent together on tour, in the studio and as friends,” the Canadian star wrote. “Thank you for being the inspiration to millions of people around the world for speaking your truth and giving us the gift of your voice. It’s Only Love and that’s all.” - Bryan Adams

“Tina was an absolutely brilliant performer and inspiration to us all.  May flights of angels sing her to her rest, but if I know Tina, she is singing lead.” - Bette Midler

‘RIP Tina Turner … such a force of nature that there will never be another like her. I was so honoured when she recorded ‘Fool For Your Love’ (a song I co-wrote with Michael Omartian) on her 1979 ‘Love Explosion’ album. She also sang with me in the 80’s on my TV series in the UK and I feel blessed by all the rare and wonderful times I got to spend with her. Heaven will sure be shaking it’s tail-feathers tonight!!!!!’ - Leo Sayer

"Tina Turner was one of Elvis' favorite performers. When she took the stage, it was pure magic. I remember how she held an audience with an energy that was undeniably pure Tina! She has left a remarkable legacy and will be sorely missed by all."  - Priscilla Presley

And Elvis just HAD to be singing about our girl here, right???

 

 

And my favorite ...

  

A couple of photos by Henry Diltz, sent in by Harvey Kubernik, courtesy of Gary Strobl at the Diltz Archive 



KENT:  

Just about everyone knows the Tina Turner story, but on her passing on
Wednesday, I couldn't help and smile remembering one of my several
encounters with her during my days as WPLJ-New York's VP of Programming for
19 years.

During Tina's first visit to WPLJ after she made her comeback on Capitol
Records, she was in my office and noticed an assortment of retro candy I
always had on hand.  When her eyes spotted the red Atomic Fireballs, she
asked if she could have one. I said take as many as you'd like.

Tina explained she fell in love with the fireballs back in the 60s and wasn't aware they still made them.  

When I saw she only put two of them in her pocket, I said, Tina you never know when you'll see the fireballs again,
please feel free to fill your pocketbook with them.  I grabbed a handful of
them and she opened her pocketbook.

When she left, she thanked me profusely for them.

Three years later when she was scheduled to return for an interview at WPLJ,
I thought it would be a fun surprise if I ordered one of those big plastic
containers they had in candy stores where they display the fireballs. The
container of 260 fireballs arrived a few days before she came by.  When she
unwrapped the present, she became very excited and said "This is the
highlight of my week. Thank you for remembering." And then gave me a hug.

I'll never forget the hug!

-Tom Cuddy
 Program Director
 710 WOR/iHeart Radio
 New York, NY