Thursday, September 12, 2024

Shelley ... and Mr. Jones

I'm growing dimmer in the eyes
I'm growing fainter in my talk
I'm growing deeper in my sighs
I'm growing slower in my walk

I'm growing careless of my dress
I'm growing thrifty with my gold
I'm growing wise
I'm growing, yes I'm growing old

I'm growing drowsy in my chair
And I no longer ponder life
And though I save a lock of hair
I seldom dream about my wife

I'm growing fonder of the fire
I'm growing mindful of the cold
I'm growing wise
I'm growing, yes I'm growing old

This is not a song you would expect to hear from the man named Tom Jones. When I saw the name of the tour: Ages and Stages, I was thinking performance stages. It turns out he meant stages in life. 

Tom released the album 'Surrounded By Time' in 2021 and by early 2022, it was a number one album in the UK. This officially made him the oldest performer to have a number one album in the UK. Tonight, I watch the first show of a six-week tour across America.  Sometimes you just get lucky ... Tom's focus is this last album (I believe his 41st), so if you think he will be doing all his memorable 60s hits, you may be disappointed. There are some, and I will tell you which ones.

This opening song (I'm Growing Old) leads into 'Not Dark Yet'. 
Here is my dilemma ... His voice is MAJESTIC. Any song he sings tonight wows my friends and me. However, with the subject matter of so many of them being growing older, the effects of time, loss in this world and eminent death; I kid around telling my friends we may go home depressed. I did not, however. The power of his music to heal and encourage must be greater than its power to depress.

A note about 'I'm Growing Old' ... 
 
Look at the official lyrics and you see:

Although I save a lock of hair
I seldom dream about my wife

The lyrics Tom sings on his album and tonight in concert are

Though I don't save a lock of hair
I often dream of my wife

Very telling, wouldn't you say? I will not go into psychotherapy here, but given Tom's panty throwing past, this belies a deeper longer lasting emotional man. He has not lost his flirt on stage. It is incredible to watch his eyes and smile infect the women here and even more incredible to hear them scream and pant when he utilizes this charm. We even had someone (stupidly, in my opinion) throw panties down the balcony which hit a woman in the front row of our high-top section. Where did they think, it was going to go? We were high in the back center of an arena!

The visual effects are out of this world! Special effects lighting, live video inter-mingled with pre-recorded whirling color and photo snaps and a change in the arrangement of many songs to incorporate a Latin rhythm give this tour a new face for Mr. Jones. 

'It's Not Unusual' using conga drums and said Latin beat presented a feel that WAS unusual for this song. Following it up with 'What's New Pussy Cat?' utilizing an accordion to give a Mediterranean feel along with audience flirtation brought another new feel to a true oldie. A run of songs from this latest album follow, along with songs from artists he admires.

The Windmills of Your Mind
Sexbomb
Pop Star (from Cat Stevens)
Green Green Grass of Home (an oldie he took from Jerry Lee Lewis)
One More Cup of Coffee (from Bob Dylan)
Across the Borderline (from Willie Nelson)
Talking Reality Television Blues
I Won't Crumble With You If You Fall
Tower of Song
Delilah (Also with a Latin beat)
Lazarus Man
You Can Leave Your Hat On (from The Full Monty)
If I Only Knew
Kiss (from Prince)
One Hell of a Life

Lay me down in a wooden field
Plant a bush above my head
Well, lay me, lay me down
Don't go writing on my grave
I'll have said it all before the end
Lay me, lay me down

Ok, you get my drift on the doom and gloom feel. That is the first verse of 'One Hell of a Life.'  The lyrics of many others here express similar feelings. This is where Tom currently is, and he is doing it His way ... to paraphrase Paul Anka. 

Soon it's Gonna Rain (from The Fantastiks ... I believe Tom Jones has writing credits on this one)
Every Day Boogie Woogie
Johnny B Goode (from seeing Chuck Berry with Elvis)
Great Balls of Fire (another Jerry Lee song)

Years ago Elvis said to Tom: "Stop singing those ballads. We don't do that." Then Frank Sinatra told him: "Get out of Rock and Roll. Stick with us in the ballads." WHY? Do we have to choose just one? There are many flavors of ice cream. Nobody restricts us to one. This was my first of five concerts this month. As varied as Tom Jones is, I bet I will find some more varieties attending the next four concerts and pieces I will love from each one. 

Tom Jones does not move around the stage as he used to, but he still sways, swings, flirts unmercifully and MAN CAN HE BELT OUT A SONG ON TUNE!!!

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano
NE Correspondent 
Forgotten Hits

60 YEARS AGO TODAY:

9/12/64 – Talk about your great shows ...

Man, what a show THIS must have been!!!   

The Supremes, The Shangri-Las, Marvin Gaye, Dusty Springfield, The Ronettes, Millie Small, The Temptations, The Miracles and Little Anthony and the Imperials all appeared in concert together at The Fox Theatre in Brooklyn, New York.