Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Monkees Convention - Part One

We are so proud, fortunate (and excited!) to be able to present to you TWO complete reviews of the recent Monkees Convention held in Connecticut this past September 4th, 5th and 6th. 

Here is Part One, courtesy of Shelley Sweet- Tufano ... 

I arrive at noon and am greeted by MMR (Monkee Madness Radio) as I reach the entrance. Professor Microdose (DJ name) gives us some info and an MMR shopping bag with two Jolly Ranchers and an MMR pen inside. Around 3:00 I return the bag to my car in order to prohibit myself from any more shopping. There were books galore that I wanted to buy, get signed and read, but living homeless and hungry is not my cup of tea. OK, I would not even have tea that was mine. Moving into the vendors' room, I find it already packed with shoppers and looking around, I don't know whether to start browsing or run through quickly into the ballroom where the panel discussions will be. I linger ...


I make it into the ballroom to take a seat before the first panel is seated. These will be the guest authors. Left to right I see Joe Russo, Ed Reilly, Melanie Mitchell, Michael Ventrella, and Fred Velez. Each of these people has written a book about, concerning, debating and exploring The Monkees. Joe Russo has been a Monkees fan since high school and confirms that Monkee fans were then looked down upon. Being persistent, he acquired Peter Tork's personal phone number and after a period of inner debate, called him. Peter told him, "I know you're going to call me again. Just don't call me ALL the time." It sounds as though Joe was respectful of that request. 

Ed Reilly agrees with Joe about Monkee fans being "low on the list."  He found an auction of Monkees acetates that he took a chance bidding on, and surprisingly, he won them all. It makes you wonder just how many people even tried. When they arrived, they looked as though they had been stored in a basement. They were filled with dirt, dust and mud. He did play them after he carefully cleaned each one.

Melanie Mitchell has a Facebook group called Monkee Magic. She also wrote a book with the same title. 

Monkee Magic: a Book about a TV Show about a Band.

She is thankful for the fans who kept going, as did she.

Michael Ventrella talked about being a kid going into record stores and being told, "I don't sell Monkees records."

Fred Velez, an original fan by his judgement was crest-fallen, more than disappointed when the show ended. He was also the first EMCEE for Monkees Conventions.

I remember this and other periods in time when certain groups were considered "less than" for all different reasons and so many kept their admiration (and records) to themselves. I felt that glaring critical stare but kept on playing whatever records I liked, Monkees included. 

The second panel is two Monkee musicians. I have seen both of them in performance; one in Davy's band, the other in Micky's. I love to read, but I am partial to musicians, so I want to hear this. Professor Microdose is the moderator for this section and starts out with the question of How Did You Become a Monkee Musician? 

Drummer Felipe Torres took drum lessons from Sandy Gennaro, percussionist to the Monkees reunions and tours. One day, Davy Jones came in to say Hi to Sandy and Felipe was having a lesson. Davy listened for a while, during which time Felipe played his drum kit with his mouth hanging on the floor. Davy then said he wanted Felipe to play in concert with him sometime. Yeah, sure ... Felipe asked Sandy if he was serious. Sandy said Davy speaks off-the-cuff a lot, but he always means what he says. The day came when Sandy asked Felipe if he could fill in for him on a couple of gigs that he couldn't make. You can guess his reply. Felipe became a regular in Davy's band. Wondering why Davy had given him this chance, he was told that he gave the kid a break because someone gave him a break and put him in Oliver.

John Billings is bassist for Micky Dolenz. He got the chance to fill in through Wayne Avers when Micky's bassist left. He "filled in" so well that he is now on tour with Micky's “60 Years of the Monkees Tour.”  When John was asked today what song was the most difficult Monkee song to learn, he replied, “Pleasant Valley Sunday.” Felipe piped in with, "Oh yeah, I would have to agree with that." 

(Take a break and listen now. What do we think?) Felipe also said copying drummer Sandy Gennaro was hard. He wanted to make sure he captured the songs the way Sandy did.

A personal note ... Felipe said Davy was old school, not technology oriented. One day he bought a smart Phone and asked Felipe to show him how to text and video chat with his grandchildren. Awwwww. A beautiful reason to force yourself into the unknown.

As they are setting up for Part 3 of the convention panels, I notice many people here that I have seen at the Fest for Beatles Fans and concerts. I had not thought about it before, but it makes sense, right?

Remember 'My Two Dads' on TV? Davy Jones guest starred on it along with Peter Noone. Greg Evigan will be interviewed by Edwin Thrower to talk about Davy as well as his own career. 


Greg started out as a singer, appearing in Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway before he broke into television. His first role was on ‘BJ and the Bear.’ Working with a chimpanzee gave him shocker stories that included an elephant and a tiger ... NOT animals that chimps adore. He has continued and is still recording with a new record being released very soon. 

One of his most harrowing memories on TV was a guest appearance on Star Trek. He was getting his make-up put on when the make-up artist put drops in one eye to redden it for the part he was to portray. It burned, REALLY badly ... so he said, "Go ahead, put it in the other eye."

??????

(Hindsight is 20/20 and for Greg, that day it was definitely hindsight)

So now both eyes burn, white fog is appearing before him and he is going blind. Rush trip to the hospital! The conversation with the doctor is scary and only somewhat hopeful that if Greg leaves his bandages on and does not move his eyes, he may regain his sight. Well now, our Star Trek Commander, William Shatner, is too curious to let Greg be. He just wants one peek. Greg gives in, pulls up his bandage and Shatner excitedly exclaims, "That's perfect! That's just what we need! Come on, we're actors, right? Let's do the scene." Off come the bandages, Greg did the scene. What was the diagnosis you ask? His corneas had been burned off.

Henry Diltz is next with a slide show. But before he takes the stage, Governor Lamont of Connecticut shows up with a few Monkees words and sings their theme song. When I walked into the ballroom, it totally took me by surprise seeing this going on.

Henry Diltz, a musician who accidentally became a famous photographer, spent much of The Monkees Series following them around on set, taking publicity photos. Showing his work on a large screen, he remembers (with the help of a friend) just where they were and what was happening. He explains that they would film the show for 10 minutes, then break, move the cameras and sets for a half hour and then film again for 10 minutes and repeat until sometime, someday, that show would be completed. So, what to do during all these breaks? According to Mr. Diltz, and some of the photos, they just got pretty high. This was also on a repeating cycle. 

Henry makes Virgo Love Beads. They were available at the convention. Davy first wore them and they were seen in several pictures. A specific number of blue and white beads were placed in a sequence, with the only change since the beginning being to shorten the length of the chains. Henry's words to remember: "If we all pull together, we can do this."

The last panel is the three kings of the convention: Chip Douglas, Henry Diltz and Bill Chadwick. Charles Rosenay is moderator, and I must say, that is his forte. He is energetic, praising his guests and bringing his audience to their feet. 


The obvious opening question is: WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH THE MONKEES?

Chip Douglas knew Mike Nesmith and when Mike approached him with the idea of becoming their new producer, he was caught off guard and surprised ... but said “OK, I'll do it.” Henry Diltz was asked to take candid shots of The Monkees during their second season. Bill Chadwick, who not only looks like Micky Dolenz, but sings like him as well, played in a band with Mike Nesmith for a year before The Monkees were formed. Mike naturally came to him for song writing.  Bill’s "Zor and Zam." "French Song" and "You And I" all became part of The Monkees’ repertoire. He is often called the 5th Monkee. Chip is also referred to in that same manner at times. 

Henry and Chip played together in a band before they were involved with The Monkees and have many stories to tell of that era and what life was like around The Monkees’ set and homes. Some of the stories are quite racy and the majority of them are connected to “frodis” (Micky Dolenz's word for marijuana.)

Henry told the story of John Stewart writing the hit 'Daydream Believer.'  He was actually shaving at the time, hence the lines in the song. However, he wrote a line, "Now you know how funky I can be" which was changed in the studio to "Now you know how happy I can be."  Henry prefers "funky."  I, on the other hand, prefer "happy."  Funky would have dated the song too much.

The final question was to Chip Douglas, asking him to compare The Monkees to The Turtles. Both groups were produced by him. Here is his insight:

The Turtles:  Took nothing seriously.  Fooled around in the studio and got hits.

The Monkees: More serious about the music, but had fun recording it and making hits.

When I went over to speak with Charles Rosenay and say HI! from Kent, his response was, "Didn't he do a great job promoting this?" 

You did Kent. All for the love of music. 

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

NE Correspondent

Forgotten Hits

Sounds like a real happy … or should that be funky … time was had by all.  Wish I coulda been there but we are ALWAYS happy to promote those that work alongside us to keep this great music alive.  (kk)