Wednesday, April 27, 2022

New Music From TOMMY ROE

One of the nicest guys I have ever met in the music business has got to be Tommy Roe ...

Between 1962 and 1971, Tommy placed fifteen songs in The National Top 40.  These include the #1 Hits "Sheila" (1962 ... incredibly SIXTY years ago!!!) and "Dizzy" (1969) as well as four other Top Ten Hits:  "Everybody" (#3, 1963 ... and written on John Lennon's guitar when Tommy was touring with The Beatles in the UK that year!), "Sweet Pea" (#5, 1966), "Hooray For Hazel" (#4, 1966) and "Jam Up And Jelly Tight" (#4, 1969)

A few years back, Tommy wrote a book recounting his career ...

https://www.amazon.com/Cabbagetown-Tinseltown-places-between/dp/1523646810/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=WpXxW&pf_rd_p=5fe95cd4-8512-42fa-bf21-63d83b898785&pf_rd_r=Z3102T9CX2VRM1JEWM9T&pd_rd_r=29e1fddc-9902-47b5-8236-76e81afb15be&pd_rd_wg=4Uo9V&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Over the past few years, Tommy has toured, retired, recorded a new album, unretired and then retired again.  He also, sadly, lost his wife and __ year companion, Golden Globe Winning Actress Josette Banzet in 2020.

We have featured some of Tommy's new music in Forgotten Hits over the past few years ... even world-premiering a couple of tracks along the way.  I had the opportunity to sit and talk with Tommy at length in 2016 (and you can find that interview posted here:  http://forgottenhits.com/forgotten_hits_interviews_tommy_roe)

Tommy's new music is still fresh and vibrant today ... and he remains in fine voice ...

So I am VERY happy to tell you that Tommy has been working on a brand new album, which will be released on his own record label, Airebelle Records, kicking off with the lead-off single "80," being released on May 2nd, 2022 ... just in time to honor of his 80th Birthday on May 9th.

But YOU get to hear it here first!

Hi Kent ... 
 
2022 will be a special year for me in many ways, but two ways in particular.  
 
First, there's my new single, 80, which I am releasing on my label Airebelle Records.  It will be released next Monday, May 2nd, in honor of my upcoming 80th birthday on May 9th, 2022. It is a song I recently wrote, arranged and produced by my good friend Mike Franklin, who happens to be a Chicago native now living in Florida, and recorded in his studio in Orlando. It is a celebratory ode to my 80th birthday, and will be on all the streaming platforms and download sites. I have attached to this email a preview copy for you and all the Forgotten Hits fans.

Also, on September 1st, 2022, I will celebrate the 60th anniversary of my first gold record, and first million seller, Sheila, which reached the top of the Billboard charts on that date at number 1. I wrote this song when I was fourteen years old, and it was originally titled Freida. So I guess you could say that Freida set in motion a string of hits in the 60’s and early 70’s, and a career in the music business to be proud of. Thank you, Freida! 
 
A 60 year career in the music business is quite an accomplishment, and something impossible to achieve without the support of my fans, and the help of my colleagues, family and friends along the way. I want to thank all of you who helped me achieve my success. You all know who you are, and what a ride it has been.
 
Felton Jarvis, and Bill Lowery are no longer with us, but I wouldn’t be where I am today without their love and guidance. Felton, who was like a brother, and the producer of Sheila and my early hits, and Bill who was like a father, and guided me through the ups and downs of my career.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And again Kent, I want to thank you for keeping us all informed about the music we love, and the artists who create it. A musical legacy we can all be proud of, and enjoy.
T.

And now, EXCLUSIVELY in FORGOTTEN HITS ...

Here's "80" by Tommy Roe ... on Airebelle Records!

(Age is just a number so they say!)