Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Some of Your PAUL EVANS Feedback

It looks like our 4-Part PAUL EVANS Series was a hit!!!

DAY ONE:

Not Bad!!!

The very first day our Paul Evans Series ran, we were able to get Paul on the radio on Ken “Kojak” Rappaport’s “1960’s Jukebox Review” on Remember Then Radio!

(very special thanks to Frank B. for helping to set this whole thing up!)

Ken is a loyal Forgotten Hits Reader and we have talked several times before by email … in fact, we’ve even talked about ME being on his show before … but Tuesday Night’s topic was too good to be true.  (Ken’s show airs every Tuesday from 8-11 pm Eastern)  Like they say, timing is everything!!!

Because it just so happened that last week was Bobby Vinton’s 87th birthday …

And Paul Evans just so happened to have written Bobby Vinton’s first #1 Hit Record, “Roses Are Red!”  So the timing simply couldn’t have been better.

We were able to give Ken a call at lunch time and set up a spot for Paul to call in and tape a brief commentary on how he wrote the song, how he got it to Bobby and what it was like watching a record that he wrote race up the charts all the way to #1.  (In fact, things went so well that Paul will be appearing on Ken’s “1960’s Jukebox Review” again at a later date to talk about his book, “Happy Go Lucky Me!!!”)

So the stars were definitely aligned as our hope all along was to get Paul a couple of radio spots after our interview series ran … and, thanks to Frank B., we were able to hit the ground running.

YOU can listen to Ken “Kojack” Rappaport’s “1960’s  Jukebox Review” on Tuesday Nights on Remember Then Radio here:  https://live365.com/station/Remember-Then-Radio-a15371  (kk)

GOOD JOB WITH THE PAUL EVANS PIECE.  IT DOES SOUND LIKE TWO FRIENDS TALKING.

I Think Kojak Should Talk To You On His Show --- Once A Month & Have You Pick A Set Of Songs Out Of FORGOTTEN HITS A Recent or Current Issue From Your Site.

Frank B.

We have talked about maybe doing something together … just need to figure out what … but I’d love to put together a “theme show” of some sort to do with him.  (kk)

Hi Kent,

I think that either Paul Evans has done way more cool stuff than he remembers, or that his publisher limited the length of his book. I wish he would have talked about the time Johnny Cash borrowed his guitar, or when he had a #1 Country record ("Happy Birthday, America") in New York, for example. 

Ed Salamon

I think we now all know that there’s more to the story than Paul was able to tell within the confines and time frame of his book.  Ironically, his publisher McNidder and Grace, is also cross-promoting our interview … so in a show of good sportsmanship, they are allowing Paul Evans fans to read more of the story as well.  (kk)

 

WOW! Thanks for sharing your interview with Paul Evans, Kent, and thank you for the generous plug in today’s installment.   

You know, I met Paul through Felton Jarvis when he was producing me in the early sixties. Paul had pitched a couple of songs to Felton for me to record, and I can't remember if I recorded one of Paul's songs or not. 

Very talented songwriter ...

Tommy Roe

My pleasure, Tommy.  Hope you’re doing well and we’ll be hearing some new music from you soon.

Checking the listing at the end of Paul’s book, I don’t see anything listed for you so I can only assume that for whatever reason, it didn’t work out …

But if you read the final chapter of our interview, then you saw the incredible list of artists who recorded some of Paul’s songs.  Quite amazing.  (kk)

 

Paul Evans remembered this when I mentioned to him that I had heard from Tommy Roe …

 

I had a big hit in the UK with “Hello, This is Joannie.”  It looked like it would climb to #1, but through a series of events (which I explain in the book), it stalled. It was also a hit on big-city country stations, but I wasn’t country enough to have it go nationwide here at home. I remember that a radio station programmer (I think it was the great Ed Salamon, who programmed WHN here in New York) suggested it to Tommy Roe, who he thought could take it to the country charts. Tommy was enthused, but eventually did not record it.

Paul

 

I finally got my copy of Paul’s book yesterday. I hope to start into it soon.

Tom Diehl

Then our timing was perfect!  (lol)

It’s funny because this piece ran over a month later than originally planned … and then just so happened to start running on the very day that Ken Kojak Rappaport was doing his Bobby Vinton birthday tribute (who knew!), so we were able to get Paul a quick spot on that program … and now YOU can simultaneously read Paul’s story in paperback and on our site.  (See, Paul … that’s EXACTLY the way we planned it!!!  I told you there was a method to my madness!  Lol)  kk

 

Great series on Paul Evans.  I never knew he was involved with so many aspects of the music business.  He also had a Chicago area hit "Hushabye Little Guitar," that charted on WLS, was Up N Coming on the WJJD chart, but did not make the Hot 100.

Ed #1

“Hushabye Little Guitar” went to #23 on the WLS Silver Dollar Survey in late 1960, where it charted for two weeks.  While it failed to chart in Billboard, that Chicagoland airplay may have been enough to push it to #96 in Music Vendor … and bubbling under status (#116) in Cash Box.  Both sides of a follow-up single, “Show Folk” and “I Love To Make Love To You” were also never recognized by Billboard’s rankings … but made an appearance in either Music Vendor, Cash Box or both.  And, PRIOR to Paul having his big break-through hit with “Seven Little Girls Sitting In The Back Seat,” he snuck into the Music Vendor Chart at #76 with a song called “I Think About You All The Time.”  That gives him EIGHT charted sides total as a solo artist between 1958 and 1961.  (kk)

 

 

I’ve always wondered when an artist has a flash of success and then disappears from the scene if these artists stayed in the music business, hoping that lightning would strike again twice … or did they just throw in the towel after a few failed attempts and go ahead and take the safer bet for employment out in the world with the rest of us.

I think it’s great that Paul Evans was able to parlay his success as a recording artist into a future career of singing, writing and producing music for others, even if much of it remained behind the scenes as far as the rest of the world was concerned.

I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your interview and will be ordering my copy of his book so I can read about how some of these other challenges panned out.

Thanks for shining the spotlight on Paul Evans for a few days and reminding us about all that he contributed to the music scene over the years.  I think it was a great series … and very enlightening.

Tim H

It’s funny because I’ve seen it go both ways … an artist will struggle to the point of utter frustration and then all of a sudden something will happen and their music becomes popular again.  Look how many 60, 70 and 80 year old “rock stars” are still out there entertaining today.  It says a lot for them … and it proves again just how important and timeless this music really is.

I was talking with Jeff March the other day about all the interviews he and Marti Smiley Childs did for their series of “Where Have All The Pop Stars Gone” books over the years.  (You can read excerpts on the 15th of every month this year in Forgotten Hits.  Scroll back to see any that you may have missed.)

 

I was quite surprised when he told me:

 

During the course of writing our four books together, Marti and I spoke with 105 different performers about the directions their lives had taken after their songs faded from the charts. Many remained in the music field in various capacities, but collectively, they held 160 jobs other than performing or recording music after stepping away from the spotlight. Some performers reluctantly left music seeking other kinds of work simply to earn a steady income. But others pursued different fields that they believed would be more personally rewarding or would enable them to better serve humanity. Learning where these recording artists had gone in pursuit of happiness and fulfillment was our objective in writing the "Where Have All the Pop Stars Gone?" series, and we're grateful that so many performers willingly discussed that with us.

Jeff

 

So to answer Tim's question, a little bit of everything, I guess.  (All I know is that there are still quite a few One Hit Wonders out there doing shows and stretching their fifteen minutes of fame into a 45 minute set of music every night!!!  And still drawing crowds doing so.  And to that, all I can say is more power to them!)  kk

 

From his review of Paul Evans’ book, this from Gary Theroux, writer of The History Of Rock And Roll …

 

As you can imagine, I have a ton of books on music in my vast research library. 

I just got through reading Paul Evans’ book -- which is probably the best musical autobiography I have ever read.

Not used to crafting prose, Mr. Evans wasn't quite sure if he could even author a book -- but after pouring his heart and soul into this effort, the resulting volume is proof positive that Paul Evans is a first-rate and totally honest storyteller.

The book is packed with first hand and thoroughly researched insight into New York's legendary Brill Building songwriters and publishers; how timeless hits came together; the eye-opening adventures of a jingle writer / singer / producer; various ventures into rock, pop, country and jazz plus a whole lot more.

"Happy Go Lucky Me" is an essential addition to the libraries of anyone seeking insight into what life was like and remains for anyone fully committed to a career in popular music.

Paul Evans' “Happy Go Lucky Me – A Lifetime Of Music” is the very best hitmaker autobiography I have ever read.

Gary Theroux

"The History of Rock 'n' Roll"

Gary helped me keep my facts together in Happy To Lucky Me.  I am humbled by his remarks,

Paul

 

Hi Kent!  

Fascinating article on Paul Evans.  I had no idea he wrote songs for so many others.

Jimbo 

 

Speaking of Jim Peterik, I just found out that he had major neck surgery about six weeks ago.  (Wow!  I had no idea!)

In his words …

Bone fusion!  Cartlidge removed.   Inserting six screws.  Ton of stuff. 

50 years of playing guitar behind my head. Being stupid.  Yikes!  Finally caught up with me.  

The Ides Of March have their first show of 2022 next week at The City Winery here in Chicago.  Wish we could make it.  (Although Jimmy may be performing part of that show from a chair!  Lol)  Regardless, I’m sure it’ll still be a kick-ass show.  (kk)

Yeah, we might all be seated in solidarity to me. Lol!

 

And then, of course, our buddy Chuck Buell had to chime in with this …

 

I know I’ve told this story before in Forgotten Hits, but it has been a while and we’ve picked up SO many new readers since then that this particular tie-in tells me it just might be time to give it another spin.  (Besides, I end up telling it a little differently each and every time anway, adding more and more embellishments along the way whenever I have to opportunity to do so!)  So here goes ...


When my Mom first found out she was pregnant with me (I was the first born in a family of four), naturally she and my Dad kicked around a number of potential names for their soon to be born son, as all future parents (and especially first-time parents) do.  (Back then, you didn’t have the option of knowing ahead of time whether you were having a boy or a girl … so they picked out a litter of names for each.) And just as naturally (as so often happens), the whole family had to weigh in with their own names suggestions … and then there was always that underlining guilty obligation to name the baby after your father  / grandfather / great-grandfather, etc., which is how so many Jr.’s and Thurston Howell the Third’s were born.

My Uncle Louie (who was always my favorite Uncle, by the way, right up to his dying day), suggested that the family listen to his wishes as he was, after all, going to be the baby’s Uncle.  With that thought in mind, he instructed that “If it’s a girl, you should name it ‘Denise’” … to which my mother replied, “And if it’s a boy???”  Without missing a beat, Louie said, “Denephew!!!”  (ba-da-boom!)

Anyway, the truth is that my Mom REALLY wanted to name me Mike … but my Dad was adamantly against it.

“There are already too many Mikes in the family,” he bellowed.  (My Dad often bellowed … and I just realized that when I was typing “adamantly” I was actually thinking “Adam Ant – ly” because I am, after all, a music guy.  I just can't seem to shake it, no matter what the circumstances are.  By the way, if you've heard this story before and happen to be keeping score, I've already taken twice as long to tell it than at any other time during the past 25 years!!!)

Anyway, it was true … My Mom’s Father (my Grandpa) was named Mike … and her brother was also named Mike (Mike, Jr.) … and there were already two cousins in the family that were already named Mike.  (When my Uncle Mike had his second son, he named HIM Michael as well!)  I guess my Dad was just worried that I would get lost in the shuffle ... or that one day at the dinner table during Thanksgiving Dinner someone would ask "Hey Mike, can you pass the potatoes?" and five of us would converge at the same time making a grab for the bowl, ultimately collapsing the dinner table!

I should also point out that back then, it didn’t matter if you were pregnant or not … both my Mom and Dad smoked a lot … and also enjoyed a cold glass of beer a few times a week as well.  It just wasn't the medical concern that it grew to become many years later.  In fact, nobody really even gave it a second thought.

So one day, as the due-date drew nearer and nearer, my Mom told my Dad, “I want to name him ‘Kent.’”

“That’s an unusual name … why Kent?”  (It’s STILL a pretty unusual name, although I have met a few Asian men named Kent over the years ... but growing up over these past 68 years, have never shared a classroom or business office with one.)

“No reason … I just dreamed it and I liked it.”

A couple of years later (and shortly before my second birthday), my Mom dropped a cigarette on the floor … and I found it … and ate it!!!  And then proceeded to throw up everything I had ever eaten in my short lifespan up to that point for most of the rest of the day.  (Secretly I think this may be the REAL reason why I have never smoked … or even been the least bit curious about it.  As it turned out, I would be the only non-smoking member of my family!  Of course, I always attributed it to my naturally rebellious nature.)

One day, when I was a bit older, I asked my Mom why she had named me Kent … after the cigarette, I presumed (and not very proudly, I might add!), because that's what all the kids had school had been taunting me with.

“No, she said … well, not exactly.”  (Actually, my Mom smoked Pall Malls … and the occasional Lucky Strike she’d bum from my Dad.)

I have always thought that it was a weird name and never particularly liked it … nor did I care for the notion that EVERYBODY thought I had been named after a cigarette.

So one day, my Mom finally fessed up … which is where I first heard this story (that has now taken me a day and a half to relate to you, the faithful readers who have stuck with me this far.)

“I wanted to name you Mike,” she said, “But your father wouldn’t let me.  He said there were already too many Mikes in the family … and I suppose he was right.

“So I decided to name you Kent instead … and you should be proud that you have such a unique name.  There might be five Mikes in your classroom some day … but I don’t think there will EVER be five Kents.”

“So why Kent?” I queried.

“Well, it WAS after the cigarette … in a way … because Kent’s slogan at the time was ‘Kent Cigarettes … with the MIKE-ronite filter” … and THAT’S how she got around my Dad’s mandate and indirectly named me Mike without him ever realizing it!

Flash forward about fifty years and I’m working at a printing company in Broadview, IL, and they gave me a company phone to use … but it turns out the phone USED to belong to a former employee by the name of Mike Rubin.  Well, rather than change the name on the caller ID, my coworker Ed decided instead to just start calling me “Mike” … and it became sort of an endearing trademark for me.

Today, people worldwide call me “kk” … but my buddy Ed Kristak will ALWAYS call me Mike.  (My Mom would have been SO happy!!!)  kk

 

We also heard from Paul Evans several times during the course of the series as well, expressing how happy he was with the way the whole thing came together ... (Happy-Go-Lucky Paul!) ... and also pointing out a few things (including this item which we have since corrected) that needed to be fixed …

 

Hey Kent,

Thank you for the hard work you put into our four-part conversation. It’s much appreciated.

The co-writer that you talked about was Paul Parnes - and not Paul Barnes. That error occurred often enough to bug him throughout his lifetime. Which reminded me of how the choice of the name Evans always haunted me. A very common name. There are just too many Paul Evans' in this world. As I wrote in my book, I always envied my friend Johnny Tillotson his name. 😀

[EDITOR’S NOTE:  And that’s no joke!  When I first went looking for Paul Evans’ Facebook Page, about 40 other like-named candidates popped up!  For the record, Paul’s REAL name is Paul Lyle Rapport ... so  Joel Whitburn, take note … you can add this little tidbit into your next Top Pop Singles book update! – kk]

Kent, you made me look like a genius when you wrote that I managed to keep all my publishing share of my Elvis Presley recordings. I did manage to keep all my writer’s share (no cut-ins) on three of the four songs of mine that he cut. 

Thanks, Kent ... I happy with the way your series is laying out my career and for the way that you’re promoting my book - just like you said you would.

Paul

PS - WHN was one of the stations that put my record of “Joannie” at #1.

PPS - I wish I had thought of this before, but one major connection to what was happening around me was my reaction to the British Invasion. It made me look around for what else was available to me in the business I loved - music. And that moved me in the direction that the rest of my life was to take.

I found it very interesting that some of those British Invasion artists ended up recording some of your songs!  (Cliff Richard, of course, did his version of “I Gotta Know” back in the same era that Elvis cut his … but how about Chad and Jeremy and Lulu and The Tremeloes cutting Paul Evans tunes!That’s what inspired me to add that little tag there at the end about all of the artists who have recorded versions of songs that you’ve written.

The one thing I wish we would have spent a little more time on was the success of “Hello, This Is Joannie” … which came virtually out of the blue and easily could have kick-started your career as a recording artist again.  After an absence of 17 years from the charts, it had to be quite a kick to chart three records on Billboard’s Country Chart starting in 1978 with “Hello, This Is Joannie” (#57), followed by “Disneyland Daddy” (#81, 1979) and “One Night Led To Two” (#80, 1980).  You HAD to be thinking it was all starting back up again for you … and, quite honestly, country music quiet easily could have provided another decades-long career ... with a VERY loyal audience.  (Several one time rockers enjoyed a "second coming" when they committed to recording country music.)  Let’s not forget … you were “some country guy” who cut that ABBA song back in 1971!!!  Lol!  (kk)

My guess is, Kent, that I just wasn’t country enough for that market.  

And looking back at my County Music bit of success, I suspect that my Producer Jimmy Wisner, Cinnamon Records and I went with the wrong side on one single. “One Night Led To Two” definitely is a helluva good song (co-written with lyricist Bob Alan), but I think the other side, “Hangin’ Out and Hangin’ In," would have done better on the country charts.

Paul

  

 

TOMORROW IN FORGOTTEN HITS ...

It's another Forgotten Hits EXCLUSIVE!!!

Brand new music from TOMMY ROE