Sunday, May 22, 2022

The Sunday Comments ( 05 - 22 - 22 )

A short but sweet edition ...

Kent,

That picture of Johnny Cash on the water tower reminded me of a record he made back in 1959. It was called HOW HIGH'S THE WATER MOMMA (FIVE FEET HIGH AND RISING).

Larry


See, and I thought we were just running the perfect streaming video!  (kk)

 

This Just In!

WAS Kent telling the Truth when he wrote, "Full Confession: I have never built ANYTHING with Legos in my entire life!"

This recently uncovered Photo about Kent from his early Elementary School might suggest otherwise!

 


Someone call TMZ!

CB ( which stands for "Confession-exposé Boy!" )

It’s the Gods-honest truth.  We had three boys in our family and NONE of us ever played (or even owned) Legos when we were growing up as kids.  (I’m not sure we were even aware of them.)

I vaguely remember Lincoln Logs … but it wasn’t anything that we were especially taken with.

However, since my inquiry into more information about the Rolling Stones Tongue Logo Lego Set, I must now be on their mailing list, because I got THIS offer the other day …

 

This kit’ll set you back about $200 … but at least it comes with an intriguing six-day challenge …

Depending on how well you know your geography, can you create the world faster than God did???  (kk)

 

As for Phil Nee talking about The Cowsills, I wasn't dumb when I was 10 years old ... I figured out real quickly that the "Partridge Family" was based on the Cowsills! (And that it was one of the most vapid things on television ... )

I knew a Black kid in my neighbourhood ... could only keep one poster of a pop singer or group by his bed ... he chose David Cassidy.

Believe It ... Or Not!

--Bob Frable

When you’re of a certain age, you’re free of all prejudice … and have all kinds of unattainable dreams as well.

I used to work with a young black girl named Debbie Bradley who, at the age of eight, fell in love with … and was positive and absolutely determined that she was going to marry George Harrison of The Beatles!

Nearly every girl between the ages of 10-14 had posters of David Cassidy on their walls from 1970 – 1972.  So for a black GUY to have one on HIS wall … now THAT’S a bit of a surprise!  (kk)

Hi, Kent ...
Had to comment on the pic of that mid-'60s Volkswagen Microbus, in light of a painful experience I had over a half-century ago.
In the late 60s I used to hang around at the NW side Chicago home of a family whose kids were all around my age (about 20 at that time). I was studying at DeVry Tech at the time, and was driving a '64 "Beetle," whose rear end I'd decorated with a sprayed-on picture of "Captain Zig Zag" (in fluorescent orange paint).  I'd get stopped by the CPD at least twice a week. 

We'd all sit on the concrete "fence" that surrounded their house and, on occasion, some Hippie buddies of ours would drive by in their VW Microbus and ask if we had any extra "weed" they could swipe from us.
One day in 1969, a bunch of our buddies pulled up in front of the house in their Microbus and said that they had some spare room in the car, in case any of us were interested in joining  them in their trip to New York for some sort of big rock concert.
I had final exams coming up, so I said thanks anyway, and that was that.
Needless to say, on the following Monday, after watching the news on TV, I cried for a week.
Mike

I remember talking to a few friends when the Woodstock Festival was being put together about trying to go … but the general feeling was, “Nah … no way they’ll ever pull this off.”  Who knew?!?!?  (Still, I wasn’t even 16 years old yet at the time … and had never been further than Berwyn before … still haven’t, really! … so the odds of me actually going were about nil anyway.)

We also talked about trying to catch The Concert For Bangla Desh.  But the worst for me was when one of my cousins offered me their extra ticket to see The Beatles at Comiskey Park … and my Dad wouldn’t let me go because it would have meant that he would have had to make a 90 minute round-trip to pick me back up again.  Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime crushing blow!!!  (kk)

>>> 9. For Your Love - Mark Lindsay & Rick Nielsen  

Mark Lindsay and Rick Nielsen covering a Clapton tune?!?!?  Now THAT’S the one I gotta hear!!!  (kk)

I, too, would be very interested in hearing this cover. 

The interesting point is that as indicated in Clapton biographies and Yardbirds documentaries, For Your Love was the catalyst for his departure from the Yardbirds as he thought it was too commercial / pop and he preferred the blues oriented music.

Robert Campbell

This is true … and probably STILL not a song that ranks high on Eric’s own list of personal favorites!  (lol)

For the record, I DID get to hear a sneak-peek audio of the Lindsay / Nielsen track after running my comment … but unfortunately was denied permission to share it.  All I can tell you is, it’s not very good … nothing that’ll leave a better memory for you than you already have of this track.

Still, the combination of a guy from Paul Revere and the Raiders and a guy from Cheap Trick hooking up to record an old Yardbirds song is a pretty unique, amazing and remarkable event!  (You can't help but wonder how these guys ever even got together!!!)  kk

Tom Cuddy sent us this bit of news about a new May Pang documentary recording her time with John Lennon.  (The whole concept of this has ALWAYS blown me away!  So Yoko tells John to get out there and explore his wild side … and get it all out of his system before she’ll take him back … and then even as far as setting him up with May Pang as his girlfriend for his Lost Weekend time away from home!!!  That’s just CRAZY!!!!!)

But without it, the world never have been able to share photographs of Lennon sitting with Harry Nilsson, wearing a Kotex on his head before being thrown out of a Smothers Brothers show in LA!!!  So we can all thank Yoko for that! 

(Actually this sounds like a REALLY good one … will have to watch for this!)  kk

https://www.showbiz411.com/2022/05/18/beatles-news-may-pang-documentary-about-john-lennon-the-lost-weekend-is-a-mind-blower-lovely-and-very-revealing

Tom also sent us this news about a brand new Chicago recording (from a forthcoming album.)

It’s their first new piece of original music in eight years … and I don’t care HOW much they say the song isn’t about THEM saying goodbye, the lyrics would certainly lead you to believe otherwise!  (We’ll be seeing the guys when they hit town with Brian Wilson in July!)  kk

CHICAGO: This Is *Not* Goodbye

Chicago have released their first new original song in eight years. But, they want you to know that there is no imminent message in "If This Is Goodbye," whose lyrics include:

 

"If this is goodbye / Let's take one more shot for the memories / Life's too short to be enemies / And if this ends tonight / You can save your tears for the other guys / I'll see you in another life."

 

They released a statement saying, "We're immensely proud of this release. For those who wonder if the title or lyrics are meant to be taken literally, let us be clear -- we are Feelin' Stronger Everyday... The song is a celebration of the moments we share with one another.

 

This is their first original song since 2014's Chicago XXXVI, and their first original single since 2008's "Let's Take a Lifetime."

 

This year marks Chicago's 55th year on the road and they will start a tour with Brian Wilson begins on June 7th in Phoenix.

 

A new album of 14 songs is coming this summer.

Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x4n0kYn01o&ab_channel=ChicagoBand

 

I dunno … I don’t see this track sparking any big comeback for the band!  (Who even sings with them these days???)  I'm just not feelin' it.

Now maybe if Chicago teamed up with Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick and Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders … nah, never mind … that probably wouldn’t be very good either!  (kk)

 

More on Chicago’s new single …

https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/chicago-if-this-is-goodbye-new-song-tour-dates-brian-wilson/?utm_source=Rock+Cellar+Magazine+Subscribers&utm_campaign=934e07d1f7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_8_26_2021_9_13_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_951cfef8de-934e07d1f7-162343372&mc_cid=934e07d1f7&mc_eid=f8f75f98ed#main

 

Police fans might enjoy this new, expanded release …

 

https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/the-police-around-the-world-restored-expanded-cd-bluray/?utm_source=Rock+Cellar+Magazine+Subscribers&utm_campaign=934e07d1f7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_8_26_2021_9_13_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_951cfef8de-934e07d1f7-162343372&mc_cid=934e07d1f7&mc_eid=f8f75f98ed#main

 

(And you know you can actually BUILD the world with a brand new ... oh, never mind!)   ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR WEEKEND!  (kk)