Is Aerosmith seriously thinking about making some live appearances again?
After “officially” retiring in 2024 due to Steven Tyler’s throat and health issues, the band is now hinting at a return to the stage.
All is due to be revealed today (10/6) but insiders say the band already has two dates booked at The Hollywood Bowl, scheduled for October 29th and November 1st. Photos of a marquee were leaked yesterday (and you can see lead singer Tyler in the foreground.)
I would love to see a healthy Tyler return to the stage … I just fear permanent, irreparable damages if he does. I guess we’ll just to have see what the band has in store … but looking at this, it sounds like these two dates have already been set. (kk)
Tom Cuddy just sent us this great new one hour interview with Phil Collins, who once again reflects back on his career (quite candidly, I might add) with host Piers Morgan. Very well done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-nyT_3W4g
kk:
Dolly Parton Strikes Again. Her Hit "JOLENE" Officially Surpasses One Billion Streams On Spotify.
FB
I mentioned the other day being upset about Paul McCartney adding four new tracks to his “The Boys Of Dungeon Lane” album and then selling it again as a new LP. I guess he was on The Jimmy Kimmel Show the other night (I didn’t bother to watch it at the time but just checked out the YouTube clip and have to admit that he’s just so damn charming, it’s hard to resist.) It sounds like the four new tracks may be available digitally tomorrow so I’ll have to check it out and see. (My guess is that you’ll still have to re-download the entire album to get them … but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and check it out and see.) kk
Check out Macca’s latest clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13KR2CUo1hc&t=6s
Another WLS Unwound Reminder …
Timmy came across a vintage Old Chicago ad from 1975.
This was a rather short-lived indoor shopping mall / amusement park that eventually started holding concerts as well. (It really wasn’t set up very well for concerts … but I did manage to go to two shows before they shut things down: Peter Tork doing a solo shown (he autographed a napkin for me in green marker!) and The Hudson Brothers, who rarely toured, but were a guilty pleasure of mine back in the mid-‘70’s. (They were much better musically than they were in their comedic persona on television … you may remember them grabbing the summer replacement series spot for original Sonny and Cher television series. Had a couple of Top 40 Hits: “So You Are A Star” (#20, 1974) and “Rendezvous” (#26, 1975). Very Beatle-ish sounding on the first one and definitely influenced by The Beach Boys on the second, which found Bruce Johnston producing and arranging the vocals. (kk)
Fun to see Tommy James listed on that poster ... we just saw him again over the weekend ... ALWAYS a great show. (Tommy is still in excellent voice and runs thru a mass of hits during every performance, of which we've now seen many.) At the end of the show, Rich Onesti presented him with a Legacy Plaque for making his 27th appearance at The Arcada Theatre since the Onestis saved it from the wrecking ball 25 years ago. (The Arcada just recently celebrated its 100th anniversary.)
Still no real update on the movie based on Tommy's book, "Me, The Mob And The Music" other than what he's been telling audiences for that past fifteen years or so ... damn, I wish they'd just find a way to get this thing made already!!!
As for a concert review, I refer you back to this one, published nearly ten years ago to the day to the show we saw last Saturday Night. (I say this because it was essentially the EXACT SAME SHOW, to the letter, as the show we saw ten years ago, with every song performed in the exact same order and every "spontaneous ad lib" still intact. I guess if nothing else, you can say that Tommy's consistent!!! lol)
https://forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com/2016/09/tommy-james-and-shondells.html
Still, all kidding aside, it is a VERY entertaining show and Tommy is still in EXCELLENT voice as he cranks out the hits to a VERY enthusiastic crowd. Tommy and Peter Noone remain the two best-sounding '60's artists of the day ... and both have weekend shows on The Sirius / XM '60's Gold Channel that are well worth catching. Check 'em out when and where you can!!! (kk)
Kent,
According to CB today, the star ingredient is CINNAMON. The only other CINNAMONS I could think of were CINNAMON GIRL by the Gentrys from 1970 on Sun Records and THE CINNAMON CINDER from 1963 by the Pastel Six on Zen records. I don't think those two records would put much weight on you.
Larry
I’d have to go with Neil Young’s original version of “Cinnamon Girl” on this one … although The Gentrys did a credible cover.
When “Cinnamon” first came out on the radio back in 1968, I could have sworn it was Neil Diamond … I still hear a little bit of it to this day. (The fact that it was released on the Bang record label only furthered my inclination to think that it must have been an old, unreleased Neil Diamond song ... and a pretty damn good one at that!) Little did I know at the time that it was actually Johnny Cymbal of “Mr. Bass Man” fame, now recording under the name of "Derek" to (most likely) avoid any prejudicial reluctance to play his new record on the air. It was a much bigger hit here in Chicago, going all the way to #4 on the WLS chart. (As Chuck noted, “Cinnamon” peaked at #11 in Billboard, but fared a little better in Record World (#9) and Cash Box (#10). For the curious out there, "Mr. Bass Man" peaked at #16 in 1963. (kk)
Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...
That's a pretty good list ... but to the best of my knowledge, none of these other songs ever benefited from their date-specific references ... although I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that the Chicago classic hasn't come back into fashion a time or two.
But then again, I remember the year that Clayton Delaney died ... and how many others out there can make THAT claim?!?! (kk)
(Couldn't tell ya what year it was ... 'cause Tom T. never told us ... but I always liked this song!) - kk
60 YEARS AGO TODAY:
10/6/66 – LSD is declared illegal for the first time


