Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Sunday Comments ( 04 - 11 - 10 )

re: THE T.A.M.I. SHOW:
I just got my copy of the T.A.M.I. Show (on sale last week on line at Best Buy's web site for $12.00 plus tax). It is awesome! It is even better than I thought it would be. It is one of those releases that lives up to its hype.
Phil Nee - Wrco

I've heard nothing but positive reviews for this one ... LONG out of print (and long overdue) ... hopefully when some of these companies see that there are folks out here who will buy this stuff, they'll begin to open more of their vaults and give us more memories to share! (kk)

re: BARRY McGUIRE:
Any mention of Barry McGuire is a great excuse to feature his long-neglected 1966 mini-hit "Cloudy Summer Afternoon (Raindrops)" -- nice combination of horns, piano, Barry -- perfect mood music for any rainy afternoon.
Plus, I had meant to mention it's also one of the few (only?) songs to "promote" newspaper reading -- and print journalists everywhere can use that support in these tough times!

http://www.last.fm/music/Barry+McGuire/_/Cloudy+Summer+Afternoon
Don Effenberger
WTG, Don ... now we can plug TWO of our Forgotten Hits Readers ... Barry McGuire AND Bob Greene, whose new book "Late Edition: A Love Story" talks in great detail about the demise of the daily newspaper!!! Good song, by the way ... I hadn't heard this one before! (kk)
Click here: http://www.amazon.com/Late-Love-Story-Bob-Greene/dp/0312375301/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270555062&sr=8-5
Click here: Barry McGuire's Trippin the Sixties

According to the liner notes on Tom Paxton's LP, Ain't That News, Tom Paxton wrote Bottle Of Wine back in 1963. It would have been perfect for the New Christy Mintrels. One wonders why they didn't record it and release it as a single.
Jack (Rock And Roll Never Forgets)
Yep ... and he reportedly HATED the way Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs did it ... until the royalty checks came in, of course!!! Did you see Barry McGuire's comment the other day??? Even HE thought it sounded like him!!! (lol) Check it out below:
>>>Well, to be totally honest, the first time I heard Bottle of Wine, I really thought it was me singing it, too, but I couldn't remember recording it ... lol! And then when the song became such a mega hit, I really wished it had've been me that recorded it, but alas, here am I, alive, healthy and enjoying every minute of my life in my 75th year. (Barry McGuire)

re: THE BEACH BOYS:
I have seen the Beach Boys 26 times. Saw them last year in Dayton,Ohio. The show and the music were excellent. Mike may have lost a little, but he never had a great voice ... neither did Jagger. It's the music. When I hear all those old car songs it takes me back to a good time in my life. I thought Mile sounded pretty darn good last year, and I will see him this year in Indiana. Keep going Mike, lets have some FUN,FUN,FUN.
Huge Beach Boy Fan --
Joe Fuller

re: JOHNNY MAESTRO:

Just got this notice from FH Reader Trade Martin ...

Len Azzarone will be producing the sensational Johnny Maestro Tribute with Rewind's DJ of the Stars, Jimmy Jay starting at 1 pm EST today from Queens College.
You can see it on the Rewind Show site and USTREAM worldwide.
Don't miss it ... there will be too many great artists performing to list here.

Best regards,

Trade

Thanks for the heads up, Trade ... you can catch the show here:

Click here: Rewind Radio Show with Jimmy Jay


re: CONGRATULATIONS TO JOHN MELLENCAMP:
Just a quick note to let you know that the nominations for this year's CMT Awards were announced today. "Ride Back Home" from John Mellencamp and Little Big Town's Karen Fairchild received a nomination in the Collaborative Video of the Year category.Click on the link to see the video for the song from John Mellencamp's much lauded "Life Death Love and Freedom," (album produced by T Bone Burnett):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjJsUaILYk4
Bob Merlis / Merlis For Hire

re: UP-COMING SHOWS:
Richard Nader’s Solid Gold Rock and Roll Show
May 1, 2010 - STARRING Lesley Gore - "It's My Party"
(
www.lesleygore.com); Joey Dee and The Starliters - “Peppermint Twist,” “Shout Part 1,” “ What Kind Of Love Is This” (www.joeydee.com); Lenny Welch - “Since I Fell For You,” “Ebb Tide,” “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do” (www.lennywelch.com); The Dubs - “Could This Be Magic,” “Don’t Ask Me To Be Lonely,” “Be Sure My Love”.
Pre-Concert Classic Car Show - FREE & Open to the Public - 3 pm - 7 pm on Livingston Ave outside the theater. Hosted by HOLLYWOOD NIGHT CRUISERS.
State Theatre
State Theatre, New Jersey
15 Livingston Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901(Middlesex County)
Website: http://www.statetheatrenj.org


Joey Dee with Bill Haley's Comets (www.joeydee.com)


re: WE DON'T CARE HOW YOU FIND US ... BUT WHEN YOU DO, TELL A FRIEND ... OR TWO ... OR TWENTY!!!:
Thought this was an interesting story, submitted by our buddy Gary Renfield over at RIPRenfield.com ...
I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY AGAIN ... ANYTHING TO FILL UP SPACE ...
I showed my daughter the DONOVAN item / comment, and the response (Kent ran with it), that appeared on FORGOTTEN HITS recently ...
She glanced at the FORGOTTEN HITS site and said ...
"Oh, I've been to that site before!"
"HUH ? HOW DID SHE FIND IT?"
Seems she was googling some information about an off-beat 1960's movie ... and the FORGOTTEN HITS site came up first ...
She scanned until she found exactly what she was looking for ... but in the process of scanning, she ran across an itemfrom some jerk using the name GARY RENFIELD!
She was initially upset (for me) because someone else was using MY name !
THEN SHE SPOTTED THE TITLE riprenfield.com IN THE SIGNATURE ...
AND REALIZED IT WAS HER OLD MAN !!!
IT IS ESPECIALLY COOL TO BE 'FOUND' BY SOMEONE YOU KNOW ...
(without you sending them there)
ALMOST AS COOL AS RUNNING INTO SOMEONE WEARING A RIP RENFIELD T-SHIRT ... OR CARRYING A RIP RENFIELD TOTE BAG ... OR WEARING A RIP PATCH ON THEIR HAT!!!
I told you they let even ME post with the big shots!!!
You could always try (and subscribe) to ... FORGOTTEN HITS!!!
http://forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com/
TOO funny!!! Hey, I'm just impressed that she not only visited the site ... but she REMEMBERED it!!! (lol) Thanks, Gary! (kk)

re: ODD!!!:
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
-- Fred Glickstein
Alrighty then!!! I wasn't quite sure HOW to respond to this one ... and then it hit me ...
When was the last time you heard THIS Top 20 Hit??? (kk)





















Meanwhile, I can forgive ol' Freddy his transgression ... because he ALSO sent me THIS amazing link: Best Card Trick Ever (Don'tcha just love stuff like this?!?!? AMAZING!!!) kk

Got a comment to share? Just drop us a line at forgottenhits@aol.com ... and then check the webpage often to see if YOUR comments appear!