Monday, July 20, 2026

Concert Review: JAY and the AMERICANS

I try. I honestly try to sit quietly in the audience and simply listen to the comments at every concert.  Yes, you guessed correctly, I added my voice to the conversation next to me. They appreciated it. One woman was singing the virtues of Jay and the Americans present formation, and a man was eagerly listening to her but a bit skeptical on whether the quality was what she claimed. When I filled in one of her blanks (a question asked of her to which she did not know the answer), I then answered their query about how many times I had gone to their concerts and left him with a look that I read as either "She is just insane" OR "Gee, they must be good!"  As it turned out, everything that I told them was confirmed during the afternoon of listening. Jay and the Americans gave the audience the same facts that I had related and the quality of what we heard was undeniably top-notch. 

When you have a prospective audience that is bigger than your theatre, one smart way to handle it is to book two shows. On July 14, 2026, The Kate Theatre has set up a 3:00 pm show and a 7:00 pm show. Summer School has been cut by two hours a day this year (another superb decision) which enables me to go home, have lunch, dress for the show and drive to Old Saybrook in time for the 3:00 pm concert. Since I get up at 5:45 am to get ready and drive to the Summer School location, it means I will also be home in time to have dinner, relax and get to bed so that I can be assured of rest before I tackle the next day of heat and education. I could almost do this every day! Listen up, District Administration and Connecticut theatres! 

Jay and the Americans have been spending the last few summers touring with The Happy Together Tour. This summer they are spending their time on their own tour, most of it in the Northeast. Happy Together is always phenomenal, albeit each act utilizing their hits only. To do your own show requires more planning, more work, more time on stage and MORE SONGS. The opening video with Red Skelton and Paul Anka gives a quick input into the time that Jay and the Americans hit the charts and the battle between Britain and the USA in 1964 through the end of the decade. 

The harmonies on the songs were top notch. The USA Band (guitars, keyboards, percussion, woodwinds, brass) helped to recreate the sounds of the 45 records we played over and over. I want to tell you each story I heard from the stage, BUT I want you to go see them and be surprised by their 60 years of music production and experiences. Because the songs are so well done, I will list them in hopes your favorites are there and it will encourage you to support them at one of their live shows. We are so fortunate to still be able to hear our 60s songs live, performed by original players. 

Here is what American Sandy Deane posted on FB ...

"Imagine in 1966, someone came up to me and said, ‘60 years from now, you're still going to be onstage singing these songs that you made famous. And sometimes so many people are going to want to hear them that the theaters are going to have to do two shows.'  And here we are ..."

Yep, here we are. Actually, I never doubted that I would still be listening to these songs and praying that I could see them in live concert! My life, my children's lives and the lives of their friends were filled with 60s music. My daughter told me, "I just thought everyone grew up this way." 

It raised my energy level, increased my smile and heightened my attitude positively. Thank you, Jay Reincke, Sandy Deane, Marty Sanders, Darren Dowler, Lenie Colacino, Glen Raby and Rick Van Horn. 

 

The playlist:

Only In America

Let's Lock The Door

Sunday And Me

Up On The Roof

She Cried

Some Enchanted Evening

You've Lost That Loving Feeling

Oh, Pretty Woman

Let It Be Me

Cara Mia

Stand By Me

It's Now Or Never

Walking In The Rain

I Saw Her Standing There

I'll Be Back

Day Tripper

Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore

Just Like Me

Kicks

Reelin' In The Years

Come A Little Bit Closer

This Magic Moment

 

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

NE Correspondent

Forgotten Hits