Shelley Fabares, star of “The Donna Reed Show” and “Coach” … and singer of the 1962 #1 Hit “Johnny Angel” ... has passed away … she was 82.
Fabares was the only female Elvis costar to appear with The King in THREE movies … “Girl Happy,” “Spinout” and “Clambake. She also appeared in the Herman’s Hermits film “Hold On!” In the early ‘70’s she brilliantly played Brian Piccolo’s wife in the TV movie “Brian’s Song,” one of the greatest tear-jerkers of all time.
Shelley married M*A*S*H TV star Mike Farrell in 1984, a marriage that has lasted 42 years. (She was previously married to record producer Lou Adler.) Her aunt was actress/singer Nanette Fabray (who changed the spelling of her last name to be more phonetically pronounceable.)
I don’t know anybody who didn’t have a secret crush on Shelley Fabares … she just had a certain aura about her that made her immediately likeable. We’ll miss you. (kk)
Remember when the hotels were selling the sheets The Beatles slept on!!!
Timmy sent us these photos … with the notice that these can be yours today for a meager $12,000!
You’ll find a great review of the Guess Who / Don Felder show in Denver here ..
Kent,
In looking over your Super Charts on Saturday, I always like to look at THE NEXT 10. Want to see which records turn out to be "hits" as we know them today.
Song #106 by Bobby Vee also reminded me of something else.
As you know, sometimes when you had two competing radio stations in the same market, one may play a record while the other one doesn't. As far as I know and can remember, LOOK AT ME GIRL by Bobby Vee was played on WKY while the version by the group PLAYBOYS OF EDINBURGH (Columbia) was played on KOMA.
Other examples would be the Eddie Arnold song TENNESSEE STUD. In 1966, WKY played the version by the Oklahoma Group Jim Edgar & the Roadrunners (Scepter) while KOMA played the version by Oklahoma group Dewayne & the Beldettas (Hanna Barbera).
One more example would be the follow-up to the Music Explosion's LITTLE BIT OF SOUL. SUNSHINE GAMES was played on KOMA but not WKY.
One final thing concerning the group Playboys of Edinburgh ...
They had a charted record here in OKC in 1969 called LET'S GET BACK TO ROCK AND ROLL. Can't remember the label offhand but it was distributed by Capitol records. I think it was 1,2,3, or something like that.
Larry
It was indeed 1 2 3 Records, a subsidiary of Capitol Records as you stated (although at first glance, one could be excused for thinking that this label might be part of the Red Bird record group!)
Whenever in doubt, a GREAT source to check is Discogs … they feature as complete a discography as any I’ve ever seen for EVERY kind of record and also show a photograph of the record label in most cases, dating all the way back to the early 1900’s 78’s. And, in many cases, you can also BUY a copy of the record here. Outstanding service. (kk)
Back To 8 Track …
I Had A Portable 8 Track Player … I Used It At Work.
It Was A Small Square Box, With A Handle On Top.
You Had To Change Sides Manually By Hitting The Handle On Top.
If You Didn't, Side A Would Keep Playing.
Back Then We Used A Fax Machine.
I Programed It --
#1 WCBS-FM
#2 The Boss
FRANK B.
Not to long ago I was in an office that was still using a fax machine …
I asked them if they were faxing the ‘80’s. (kk)
60 YEARS AGO TODAY:


