Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Tuesday This And That / A Concert Review of Al Jardine and The Pet Sounds Band / Remembering August 25th, 1966 / And A VERY Special Announcement! (Man, you don't get bonus features like THIS downtown!!!)

TUESDAY THIS AND THAT: 

Dolly Parton gave “People Magazine” a health update … and honestly, it doesn’t sound too good.  Naturally, she’s concerned, as should be all of her fans.

Parton says she’s going through some hard times with her health.  “I am dealing with some health issues that I just didn’t pay attention to when I was watching over Carl.” (her husband Carl Thomas Dean, who passed away in March of 2025)

“It’s not like I haven’t been through hard times with my health, but I think because we live in a 24/7 world with social media, everything gets magnified in ways it wasn’t years ago. I used to joke that I was the Queen of the Tabloids, but now I guess I can say I’m the Queen of Social Media AI! Seriously, though, even though I’m still healin’, I’m still workin’.”  (She didn't mention anything about returning to the stage for her Las Vegas residency ... but she IS working on other projects.)

For example, a new museum celebrating her life in music will be opening this fall in Nashville … and Dolly also hinted that an “avatar tour” may not be too far off in the distant future either.  (It is in the early stages of development at this time … but presents an opportunity for generations to come to see Dolly “live” in concert.)

We wish her the very best in recovering from all that is currently ailing her.  I mean, who doesn’t love Dolly??? (kk)

Really???

Linda McCartney is going to be honored with a series of postage stamps featuring her photos.

Now it's true that Linda DID photograph some of the most important rock stars in rock and roll history ...

But none of those photos are being featured on the stamps.

Instead we get a series of five different "still" shot with nary a rock star in sight.

The stamps will become available on September 25th.

(I'm not quite sure I understand this one at all!!!)  kk


Meanwhile, our FH Buddy Frank B. has come up with a Get Rich Quick Scheme ...

And we all know how well THOSE work!!!  (kk) 

kk …

I Found A Way To Save Some Money

I Bought My Own Sheets + Pillows +  Pillow Cases

I'm Going To Re-Print A Copy Of The Certificate You Printed In FORGOTTEN HITS!

FB



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


We attended the Sunday Evening show of Al Jardine and The Pet Sounds Band at The Des Plaines Theatre … and what a great concert it was!

Playing to a full house, this incredible collection of musicians played an honorable tribute to the music of Brian Wilson, proving time and time again that they love these songs just as much as we do.


I’m not going to give you the complete play-by-play as we’ve run two reviews recently written by Forgotten Hit Readers (although it looks like they’re shuffling up the set list a little bit for each show … for example, we got to hear “Back Home,” one of my favorites, as part of the encore) but every song is executed to perfection.

Instead, just a few thoughts that passed thru my head while sitting there:

To Darian Sahanaja, the music director of the band and the guy who got Brian Wilson back out on the road enjoying his own music again … I salute you.  Some of these band members have been together for decades now and yet it still sounds fun and fresh each time you perform it.

Paying no disrespect to Brian himself, this just may be the best tribute to Brian’s music that we’ve ever seen (and, according to my calculations, we saw Brian live about nine times over the years.)  Al’s still got the vocal chops to pull this off and bring to the stage the joy that we never really felt when we saw Brian perform his own music.  Truthfully, he always came across as a bit detached and wasn’t always in great shape vocally … but the combination of Al’s voice, Matt’s voice, your voice and the swell of the rest of the band who were capable of recreating those intricate harmonies live that often took hours, days, weeks and months to perfect in the studio is simply astounding.  (One caution to the band … you guys may be in trouble if Matt Jardine ever reaches puberty!)

To Al Jardine (who told me to stick around till 2030 so I could see the band perform the “Sunflower” album live on stage for its 60th anniversary!), great job.  You were in fine voice and in fine humor throughout the very long set … your stamina is inspiring.  I hope you still feel and sing the same way four years from now because I plan on being at that show!!!  (And a special wink for your Mike Love comment … TOTALLY cracked me up and it was delivered perfectly!)


To all, a public apology for vastly underestimating how well the “Love You” album would go over live.  I can only tell you that The Des Plaines Theatre was jam-packed with fans of this album who cheered after each song was performed.  (I had to listen to the album again before heading out to the show just so there’d be some familiarity with the songs …  this isn’t one I pull out very often to listen to!)

After the show, fans mobbed the area in front of the stage, holding their copies of the album they brought from home, hoping that Al might sign each and every one.  (And I’m pretty he did!  Without a meet and greet scheduled after the show, poor Al and Darian were stuck on stage for a good hour after the show ended and equipment was being removed!)  This has never been considered one of the band’s masterpieces … the writing and singing are both weak, with nary a tune or two worthy of sticking in your memory … but the band made each track come to life, live on stage, so kudos to all. 

Overall, an outstanding and very enjoyable performance.  At no point in their career did The Beach Boys ever sound this full and precise in a live venue.  Thank you all for loving this music as much as we do.  (kk)

Previous reviews you may be interested in:

Shelley Sweet-Tufano’s review of the show: 

https://forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com/2026/04/al-jardine-and-pet-sounds-band.html

Scott Paton’s review of the show:  https://bestclassicbands.com/al-jardine-pet-sounds-band-2026-tour-review-8-12-26/

Our interview with Al Jardine:  https://forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com/2026/08/an-exclusive-interview-al-jardine-talks.html

(Frannie and I were both able to snap some pretty nice shots during the show, some of which are displayed above.)  kk 

 

60 YEARS AGO TODAY:

8/25/66 – Perhaps as further evidence that The Beatles’ popularity was waning, The Fab Four played two shows today at the Coliseum in Seattle, Washington. 

The first show (at 3 pm) was only attended by about 8,000 fans (the arena seated 15,000) … but the evening show was a complete sell-out.

***** 

DON'T MISS IT!!! 

KICKING OFF TOMORROW, EXCLUSIVELY IN FORGOTTEN HITS ...

An exclusive report from author Mark Bego, "Biographer To The Music Stars," as Mark recalls his amazing MICHAEL JACKSON ADVENTURE, running EXCLUSIVELY in FORGOTTEN HITS!!!