Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Sunday Comments (Dolly Parton Edition) 8 - 30 - 26

The tributes to Dolly Parton have been pouring in … as I stated in my update, she touched lives in not only every area of show business but in every fan at home … there wasn’t ANYBODY who wasn’t aware of Dolly Parton.  And I've yet to find anyone who didn't love her.

One of her most likeable qualities was her ability to make fun at her own expense.  (Of course she had a couple of sizeable assets to help make all of that possible!)

I heard someone say today that Dolly Parton was the one American that ALL Americans loved.  She can now be reunited with her beloved Carl Dean for all eternity.  (I’m hoping that’s a good thing – Dolly often said that the main reason their marriage lasted 59 years was because of all the time they spent apart!)  Another great quote I heard on the 20/20 special that ran the evening of her death:  “It costs a lot of money to look this cheap!”  lol

And a classic line from Johnny Carson that no one will ever forget …

She was apparently hospitalized four days before her death.  In hindsight it seems that she knew this was the end, which is why and when she contacted People Magazine.  The family later acknowledged that Dolly had gone thru a recent bout with cancer, to which she ultimately succumbed.  The whole world is a little bit sadder place today. (kk)

Remembering the extraordinary life of Dolly Parton

Bruce Staples

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UcUGqUwAWSs&is=6Umaxqz7I9M1eiMc

Dolly Parton:  A Lifetime in Pictures:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2026/aug/25/dolly-parton-life-in-pictures?utm_source=firefox-newtab-en-us

Just some of Dolly’s good deeds …

https://www.billboard.com/lists/dolly-parton-good-deeds-timeline/1988-the-dollywood-foundation/?bt_ee=nct%2FeTmla%2Fgw0cu5jjjHCXcIVwoHwgqvH7PxYY4qPSGk4sjJasa2Q%2BnoCtNLGyR8&bt_ts=1787691286291

Some great Dolly videos from thru the years …

https://rockcellarmagazine.com/dolly-parton-tributes-news-broadcasts-watch-obituary/?utm_source=Rock+Cellar+Subscriber+Sign-Up+Popup&utm_campaign=adb0f55172-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_8_26_2021_9_13_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_141dd5f77a-adb0f55172-524395303&mc_cid=adb0f55172&mc_eid=f8f75f98ed

Show the love …

The day of Dolly Parton’s death, her music was streamed 26.3 million times … incredible … more than any other artist other than Drake, who had 36.6 million streams, thanks to three recent album releases.  To put things in perspective, exactly one week before her death, Dolly only earned 1.2 million total streams … still a pretty impressive number for an artist that has pretty much been out of the limelight for a while now.

Her top three streams included “Jolene” (2.7 million), “9 To 5” (2.3 million streams) and “Islands In The Stream,” her #1 duet hit with Kenny Rogers (1.8 million streams).  Don't be surprised to see a number of Dolly's hits to re-enter The Hot 100 as well as Billboard's Album Chart. ("The Ultimate Dolly Parton" is already poised to debut in The Top Ten!)  kk

Tonight (Sunday, August 30th) Me TV salutes Dolly Parton with two one hour specials:

5 PM Eastern | 4PM Central: Dolly Parton: Big Hair, Bigger Heart (2024) — 

In this biographical documentary film about the life, career and legacy of country music icon Dolly Parton, the Queen of Country Music’s rise to fame from humble beginnings is explored. Beloved for her larger-than-life positive attitude, iconic style and charitable endeavors, Parton would carve out her own identity as a singer, composer, actress, and entrepreneur, leaving a rich legacy that touched the lives of fans and admirers around the world.

6 PM Eastern | 5PM Central: Collector's Call - "Meet Harrell Gabehart: Dolly Parton" (2020) — 

You might say Patric Parkey & Harrell Gabehart are big fans of Dolly Parton. Their house is filled with every kind of Dolly Parton memorabilia imaginable including the bedroom furniture from her personal Dollywood suite, clothing and shoes she's worn, her banjo and even an autographed court sketch of the country queen when she was sued for copyright infringement in the 80's. Certified appraiser, Judy Martin will give an estimate as to how much the Dolly collection is worth. Then, she'll attempt to make a trade with our collectors -- a Dolly item for a Dolly item, but you won't believe the special surprise Judy has in store for them, none other than a special message directly from Dolly!

Kent,

I just now heard that Dolly Parton has passed away. I double checked and the earliest record I have of her is one she made in 1967,  HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY on Monument Records. This is the old Tune Weavers' song and her version made our local top 40 radio survey. 

Larry

Her version of “Happy, Happy Birthday, Baby” charted here, too, reaching #29 on the WLS Silver Dollar Survey … but it was in 1965, not 1967.  It was also her first nationally charted pop hit (although it never broke The Top 100 in any of the major trades.)

It would be twelve more years before she hit our local chart again.  That’s when “Here You Come Again” peaked at #3 in 1977.  Four years later she would hit #1 with “9 To 5.”  Then in 1983 she hit #1 again with the mega Bee Gees hit “Islands In The Stream,” recorded as a duet between Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.  (Barry Gibb was producing a Kenny Rogers album and it was Kenny’s idea to record this one as a duet.  He called up Dolly and she came right over to add her vocals to the track.  I can’t imagine it sounding any other way!)  kk

Another nice tribute:  https://theseconddisc.com/2026/08/26/in-memoriam-dolly-parton-1946-2026/

I just LOVE this picture of Kenny and Dolly!  It was taken by Gary Gershoff on October 20th, 1988, at The Brendan Byrne Arena in East Rutherford, N.J.

Tributes came from fellow music icons and fans all over the musical spectrum ... 

“The feeling of losing my Aunt Dolly is beyond what feels right to share. Our most sacred moments were private and they’ll stay there behind the stage, beneath the glamour & between our hearts. What I KNOW is Dolly would want me to feel it, write a song about it, and then continue on and be strong. I have an angel by my side. I always have. One of our last conversations was about music and metamorphosis. 🦋 I will always love her and want to make her proud. My heart breaks for the world, her family and friends who will miss her deeply. We’re in this loss together and we will see her in all of the most beautiful things. 💖 – Miley Cyrus

"A world without Dolly doesn’t feel possible, real, or right. But because of the eternally generous way she spent her time on this earth and the countless lives she changed for the better, her legacy will be an everlasting one.  Dolly Parton was the gift that kept on giving.  Somehow she was able to give us her lessons about the world gently and honestly, simultaneously, and oftentimes hilariously.  She managed to give the world the ultimate mystery and fantasy in some corners of her life, but to give full transparency in the ways that counted. Somehow she was true grace and true grit, all in one dazzling person. She possessed the softest heart when it came to the struggles of others, and a backbone of steel to defend her own self worth as an artist.  I am grateful for everything Parton gave her fans, including the melodies and lyrics she wrote that thawed even the coldest hearts. For the millions of books she provided children all over the world so that they might fall in love with stories the way she did. For the tightropes she walked so that young girls like me could grow up dreaming of joining the circus too.  Dolly, I’ll think of you each step of the way."  -- Taylor Swift

“Well, I just got the news that my buddy Dolly passed onto the higher and greater side. Dolly, thank you for all the wonderful things you did for us here on earth. Your love, your music and you gave so much with your huge, huge heart. There will never ever be another you. We will remember and cherish every memory and every note you ever played and sang. Thank you, Lord, for Dolly. She’s gonna have a blast in heaven singing all her favorite songs with all her family and friends who have gone on before her. I’ll never forget the first time I met you and I’ll never forget our last conversation. I hold it with love in my heart. I will always love you.”  -- Reba McEntire

“The magnificent star Dolly Parton has died and it is so sad. She was such a wonderful woman. I first met her in Nashville at the Grand Ole Opry where she had been playing with the country star Porter Wagoner and was about to start her solo career. She was so bubbly and full of life it is difficult to take in the news that she has passed. Her songwriting, her singing and her philanthropy were unrivaled in the world of country music and it is hard to imagine living in a world without Dolly. She was a very clever businesswoman who understood the value of her music and, most importantly, the effect that she had on the people of the world. There was no greater honour for me than to have her sing my song ‘Let It Be’ and, even though I only made a small contribution to it, I am so honoured that she did it. I am so proud to have known her and admire her unique talents.  Thanks, Dolly, for the beautiful music you gave me and the whole world. We will always love you, god bless and rest in peace. You were the best.”  -- Paul McCartney

“Shocked and devastated to hear that Dolly Parton had died … she was a giant of an artist — unique and irreplaceable, with the kindest heart.”  -- Elton John

“My heart is breaking. In addition to her musical talents, she was an exemplary human being. R.I.P. Dolly Parton.”  -- Carole King

“I am deeply saddened by the passing of my friend, Dolly Parton. One of the most extraordinary musical experiences of my life was recording with her. The world is a poorer place without her.”  -- Linda Ronstadt

“Dolly Parton was the barometer and the North Star.  Bold and brilliant. Talented and tenacious.  She taught so many lessons on how to be unique oneself.  Thank you for your art, your heart, your generosity, your humor and your entrepreneurship. I’m honored that I had the privilege to work with you. I will treasure that forever.  Thank you for your profound impact on the world.  You are an angel who has made this world a happier place because of your joyful art. You are truly one of one. Rest peacefully."  – Beyonce

“She really is an angel walking the earth.  When I first met her, I told her that we look like we could be sisters!  I will cherish our laughter and conversations and will do my best to carry on your wisdom, your playful outlook on life, and your perfect sense of humor.  There will never be another you and how lucky are we all to have experienced your singular magic as well as your once in a lifetime voice, songs, and heart.  Your light will be something the world will search forever to find again.”  -- Sabrina Carpenter

“What a wonderful songwriter and singer Dolly was.  She brought so many people together, we will all miss her so much.” – Mick Jagger

“Dolly recently sent me a beautiful message, telling me she loved me with her whole heart.  I will always love her in the same way … with my whole heart … and I always will.”  -- Billy Ray Cyrus

“Dolly Parton had a way of making everyone feel special, and seen, and welcomed, and as if you were old friends.  I will miss her heart and her voice as I am sure millions will. What an incredible gift and talent she was and still is with an amazing catalogue of art she has left behind for all of us.”  -- Kelly Clarkson

“You’ve had such a huge impact on so many people all over the world.  We will all miss you.”  - George Strait

“I will certainly miss her laughter, jokes and her being.  Rest well and in total peace my friend. My heart is heavy.”  -- Dionne Warwick

“We will always love you, Dolly.”  -- Waylon Jennings

“The death of Dolly Parton is as big as Elvis.  This rocks the country and the world in the same way and we won’t get over this for a long time. God bless this beautiful girl.”  -- Don McLean

“It’s hard for me to imagine the world without Dolly.  She used her art, her fame and her money to help so many people. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve thought to myself, ‘What would Dolly do?'”  -- Cyndi Lauper

“Dolly … you were pure light, with a kind heart and a generous spirit. We will now be missing one of the most joyful voices this world has ever known. Thank you for the music, the laughter, and the love you gave us all. We will always love you.”  -- Celine Dion

“So sorry to hear about Dolly – she was a true force of nature.  – Barbra Streisand

“We have lost a true icon … A ray of sunshine is gone.”  -- Paul Stanley

“There is a hole in the universe … There was and will never be anyone like Dolly.  I did not know her well, but I loved her like family … we all did. She was an incredible storyteller, musically and in real life.  She was also a loving and compassionate human being, led by goodness in all she did. I will miss knowing she is on the planet but she will never be far away. RIP Dolly, we love you.-- Sheryl Crow

“Dolly. This really really hurts.  The world feels a lot less sparkly all of a sudden … So glad she’s with her Carl Dean. No one talk to me today.”  -- Kacey Musgraves

“I never imagined this day would come.  Getting to know Dolly was life changing, but not just for me. For everyone. She seemed immortal.”  -- Brad Paisley

“The Daniels family is devastated to hear of the passing of a genuine American institution, Miss Dolly Parton.  Her impact on music – not just country – entertainment and pop culture in general is unparalleled.”  -- Charlie Daniels’ Family

“Dolly Parton is simply The G.O.A.T.  Thanks for the songs, the laughs, the humility and grace. Without a doubt, a woman who God truly has his hands on.”  -- Kid Rock

Eminem remembered a letter Parton sent him after his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Although the two never met, the rapper said the personal message had affected him deeply ... “Even for a kid who mostly listened to rap music, she was an icon.”  -- Eminem

 

“Dolly Parton was a one of a kind, altruistic, down to earth, musical genius.  Working with her was one of the highlights of my career.”  – Joan Jett

“Dolly was a pure light sent from heaven. My mentor is gone. My songwriting teacher and hero of grace and humility.  There is a hole in my heart but the joy of just the thought of her smile will continue to fill me with inspiration for as long as I live.  I will cherish this moment performing Coat of Many Colors with Dolly forever. Goodbye, Dolly. Rest in peace, beautiful angel.”  -- Shania Twain

“Dolly traded in her butterfly wings today. I felt her leaving all week and I’ve been singing ‘Coat Of Many Colors’ with I’m With Her and asking folks to pray every day. I don’t even know why.”  -- Brandi Carlile

“I am in shock.  She was one of the sweetest and kindest people I had ever met. I have many fond memories that I will cherish and hold close to my heart. Such a talent and a tremendous loss to pop and country music and to those who knew and loved her.”  -- KC (of KC and the Sunshine Band)

“The great and singular true queen, Dolly Parton, has died. She blessed the world with her beautiful songs and blessed humanity with her caring and generous heart. I, too, was blessed to have her grace my re-recording of “Midnight Blue,” written by Carole Bayer Sager and me. Her performance was splendid, tender, and heartfelt. My sincerest condolences go out to her family, friends, and fans. I will never forget our time together. Thank you, dearest Dolly. Your glory will live on in your songs and great accomplishments.”  -- Melissa Manchester

“The last thing Dolly said to me was, ‘Bill Anderson – I Will Always Love You.’ She was looking me in the eye from the giant video screen in the Grand Ole Opry House on the occasion of my 65th Opry Anniversary a few weeks ago. She was Smiling as only Dolly could, making my night even more special than it already was. The news of her passing has rocked my world, but as we sang together back in 2023, ‘Someday It’ll All Make Sense.'”  -- Bill Anderson

“Dolly Parton’s legacy is not celebrity, but humanity. She came from poverty to become the most important native of Tennessee. She shared her fortunes for the good of all of us, and shared her soul in every note she sang.” – Kyle Young, CEO,, Country Music Hall Of Fame And Museum

“What a sad day for America, what a sad day for the world, what a sad day for the Parton family. Dolly! We will miss you in more ways than one can say you were a treasure on this earth.”  -- Henry Winkler

““I am devastated. I just learned that Dolly has moved on. I know that millions are mourning and I want to say this – more than anyone I have ever known, Dolly will always be with us because she was so present, so powerful, so generous and playful that she is woven into all our lives and hearts forever.  She was the voluptuous embodiment of empathy.  We have our memories of her, her songs, Dollywood, ‘9 to 5,’ the millions of books she got into the hands of children, all the iconic images that bring her to us. And they are all blessings.”  -- Jane Fonda

Her other 9 to 5 costar Lily Tomlin just posted “No words”

“If there are truly angels on earth, then we have just lost one.” – Sally Field

“Dolly Parton was a good woman and one of the greatest artists of true country soul. God bless her.”  -- Yusuf / Cat Stevens

“There will never be another quite like Dolly Parton. She was the ultimate singer, songwriter, actress, performer, and philanthropist. She filled the world with light and we are so grateful for every second we got to spend with her onstage and off.” – The Muppets

“We are devastated to hear the passing of the legend Dolly Parton. She was a gifted and talented icon who championed human welfare, health, and happiness. A singer-songwriter, musician & producer … There was nothing that she could not do. What a life and legacy. It’s a very sad day indeed. We will always love you, Dolly.”  -- The Go-Gos

“The news of Dolly Parton’s passing is devastating. I had the extraordinary experience of working with her on ‘The Orville,’ and it was a joy to discover that she really was exactly the person we all hoped she was. Her kindness, generosity, and authenticity were evident from moment one, and the benign yet assured command she maintained over her empire was obvious from the genuine love and trust you could see from everyone who worked for her. The world is a dimmer place today without her.  – Seth MacFarlane

"I met Dolly Parton many years ago ... and will always remember how it felt … that instantly I was meeting an old friend. Her energy was that personable, her magic through her whole life made folks feel like they belonged. Her positive approach to life and the amazing songs she wrote is her legacy that will live on in a world that so needs healing!!❤️

To family and friends of Dolly, my condolences … and the hundreds of millions that will miss her so …

God bless you Dolly Parton ..." 
❤️🌈❤️🙏❤️
-- Mick Fleetwood

Our beloved Dolly Parton has died. I am devastated, and I’m sure the nation will mourn her as I do, and for many years to come. She had a voice of pure gold and a heart to match.  What a terrible, terrible loss.  – Bette Midler

We are deeply saddened by the passing of the incomparable Dolly Parton.  Dolly was a true trailblazer. Through her extraordinary talent, kindness and generosity, she opened doors and inspired generations around the world.  We share this special memory from 1977, when we had the honor of meeting Dolly in England on the same day we also met Queen Elizabeth II.  – The Jacksons

“Sad to hear the passing of Dolly Parton. I have been an admirer and fan since the 70s and Jolene. Dolly was such a bright and shining person I know she will be missed dearly. She was a completely unique and wonderful soul and I am blessed to have met her.”  -- John Fogerty

“I spent a week with Dolly in Nashville to record one of my songs with her for her ‘Rock Star’ album. Best week ever.

A week with Dolly was like a master class for me. I tried to be a sponge ~ and learn everything I could learn from her ~ in a very few days. Learning from her was easy because she was a really good teacher. I think she saw me as a really good student; I just tried to listen. She said she could become a rock star ~ and I watched her do it. When I was there she was not even close to being finished gathering more rock & roll songs that she wanted to sing.

So, 🤍 Dolly, Dolly, Dolly ~
Rock and Roll & Country ~
Carry all those songs with you ~
Right up to heaven ~
Sing your songs to all those you meet
This will be their blessing
Dolly, how we’ll miss you

There’ll never be another you ~
And I will always love you

Love Love Love,”
-- Stevie Nicks

“Dolly Parton was one of a kind. I had the pleasure of crossing paths with Dolly over the years, and she was every bit as memorable, talented and funny as you would imagine. But beyond the extraordinary talent was something even more important: her heart. She brought joy to generations of people and left the world considerably better than she found it. She will be missed.”  -- William Shatner

The World lost one of its brightest lights today. Dolly was one of a kind — a true original whose music, kindness, faith and spirit touched generations.  There will never be another Dolly Parton. Our hearts and prayers are with her family, friends and everyone who loved her. Rest easy, Dolly. We know you and Ronnie are already putting on one heck of a show up there — and maybe singing a little “Free Bird” together. ❤️  — Lynyrd Skynyrd

Well, it wouldn’t be the first time!  (kk)

“I’m heartbroken to hear about Dolly. She was one of a kind — not only an extraordinary artist and songwriter, but one of the warmest, most gracious people I ever had the pleasure of knowing. 
Years ago, Dolly wrote me the sweetest letter asking if I would join her on her version of ‘Crimson and Clover..’  Of course I said yes. She took our song and made it completely her own, with that unmistakable Dolly voice and spirit. Having the opportunity to sing and play on her recording is a memory I’ll always treasure.
Dolly had a remarkable gift for bringing people together through music. She touched generations with her songs, her humor, her kindness and her enormous heart. I feel very fortunate that ‘Crimson and Clover’ gave us the chance to make a little music together.
God bless you, Dolly. You will be deeply missed, but the music and love you gave the world will live on forever.” 

 — Tommy James


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From Tom Cuddy, this post from Barry Gibb …


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dolly Parton was one of a kind — a great songwriter and performer who told the stories of everyday Americans with honesty, humility, and heart. She rose high from her East Tennessee roots and never forgot where she came from. And she always believed in giving back, especially in her efforts to promote literacy.”  -- Bill Clinton

“It’s hard to imagine many people having a bigger impact than Dolly Parton. Born in a one-room cabin, she earned 11 Grammys and an Emmy, built a business empire, helped millions of kids learn to read, and — as if that wasn’t enough — helped accelerate the research that led to the development of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.”  -- Barack Obama

“Laura and I, along with thousands of her fans, mourn the passing of Dolly Parton.  We loved her music and her style.  She was a great entertainer and even greater person.  We respected her efforts to promote literacy, advance health, and strengthen communities.  Dolly was a talented and hardworking American who will be missed” – George W. Bush

“There has never been anyone like her, and never will.  Dolly Parton was one of the greatest Country singers, and far beyond, EVER.”  -- Donald J. Trump

(Trump also ordered the American flag to be flown at half-staff across the United States and at US diplomatic and military facilities overseas until sunset on September 1st.)

And now Tennessee Governor Bill Lee has petitioned to have the name of Nashville's International Airport changed to Dolly Parton International Airport.  The proposal will be addressed at a meeting scheduled for September 17th.  (In all fairness, a petition with over 160,000 signatures on it began over a year before the singer's death ... but the timing to do so couldn't be more appropriate.)  kk 

“Remembering the late, great Dolly, who brought joy, comfort and inspiration to so many - including the millions of children given free books through her Imagination Library. We will always ❤️ you.” – The Royal Family

It's the "Buckinghams!"

No. Really!  The REAL "Buckinghams!"

With Dolly Parton's "Nine to Five!!"

"Buckingham Buell!"


 
 

Dan Hudelson

And from Timmy (with the subject line “Too Soon???”)


I did know Dolly Parton.  Not meant to imply anything. And not well certainly enough to “hang out.”  I did a couple of specials with her in my studio and she used to come in KLAC and KBBQ frequently so then time passed and I had to drop something off at an office in the building on Sunset Blvd. and I’m walking up the steps and she’s coming down. She called out to me by name and gave me a huge HUG. 

She was that way … remembered names so well - I couldn’t believe it.

I also did a special on her with Emmylou Harris and had Warner Bros distribute it for me.

Sincerely,

Don Elliot

Once upon a time, many years ago, when I was at a particular Radio Broadcast Convention, they always had a "Surprise Secret Performer" on the last day that no one ever knew who it might be until just before Showtime!  Rumors would circulate on who it might be!  Fun Stuff!

So, on this particular occasion, we were all instructed to gather together in the Hotel's Great Ballroom for the Special Show! 

At NINE AM!

And then ~~~

"Ladies and Gentlemen!  Dolly Parton!"
 

She, with her small orchestra and backup singers, put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen! Lively! Quick Paced! Entertaining! Tight Presentation! Flawless!! Just like a Full Big Time nighttime show!

At NINE AM!!

What a Pro!

And how Great to see her so up close!

I thought she was so good, and I enjoyed her performance so much that morning that when I got back home, I actually bought her latest CD!
CB 

8/25/2026 – In Honor Of The Late Dolly Parton, The Empire State Building Will Sparkle Pink At Exactly 9:25 (For Her Movie) Tonight -- The Tribute Celebrates The Global Icon's 7-Decade Career & Her Legacy Beyond Music.

I Like This Story I Heard About Her & Elvis …

Elvis Was Going To Record One Of The Songs Dolly Wrote ... I Can't Remember Which One.

But Col. Tom Parker Told Her She Would Have To Give Part Of Her Writing Credit To Elvis.

She Said No. Each Song Is Like One Of My Babies.

Since She Said No, Elvis Didn't Record The Song.

It Probably Cost Her A Lot Of Money.  Principles Over Money. 

FRANK B.

The song was “I Will Always Love You” … the showpiece of her career.  She may have made more money off Whitney Houston’s recording of that song than she did during the entire rest of her career!  Dolly says she didn’t even know Whitney had recorded it (for the soundtrack to the Kevin Costner film “The Bodyguard.”)  She first heard it while driving home one day and said she became so emotional she had to pull off the road in front of the Walgreens just to listen.  She had no idea her song could ever sound like that and was overcome with joy.  Whitney’s version topped The Billboard Hot 100 Pop Singles Chart for fourteen weeks in 1992, selling over four million copies at the time.  (It has since surpassed ten million digital downloads … and won Grammy Awards for Record Of The Year and Pop Female Vocal Of The Year.)  Dolly subsequently invested the money generated by the songwriting royalties from Houston’s version into a Nashville community, purchasing a commercial property and shopping complex in a predominantly Black area of Nashville.  She went on to describe the property as “The house that Whitney built.”   Although Elvis never recorded the song professionally, Priscilla Presley later told Parton that Elvis had sung the song to her around the time their divorce was finalized.  Dolly's original version did top the country charts ... but it was Whitney Houston who turned it into an anthem.  Dolly wrote the song in 1973 as a goodbye to her former partner, Porter Wagoner.  She had decided to leave his television program and pursue a solo career.  Looks like she made the right decision a couple of times on this one!  (kk)

Now this has got to be the coolest thing I’ve heard all week …

YOU HAVEN'T HEARD DOLLY PARTON's LAST RECORDING YET …

In 2015, Dolly Parton Wrote And Recorded A Song Called "MY PLACE IN HISTORY."

It Is Buried In A Time Capsule At "DOLLYWOOD"-- To Be Released On JANUARY 19, 2046 – Which Would Have Been Dolly’s 100th Birthday.

FRANK B.

Amazing!  (kk)

I can unequivocally say, with all certainty, that these are the most comments we have ever received after the passing of a major music star in all the nearly 28 years that we've been doing Forgotten Hits ... the love for Dolly is truly amazing and second to none. 

We'll have lots more of your regular comments tomorrow in Forgotten Hits in a GREATLY expanded edition of the Monday Morning Quickie. (kk)

 

60 YEARS AGO TODAY:

8/30/66 – Following in the steps of Dr. Ben Casey, “Dr. Kildare” ends its five year run on NBC.