Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Another Review from Shelley ... and a look back at 9-2-66

GARY LEWIS and the PLAYBOYS Concert Review

Yes, I said I would return to The Kate to see Gary Lewis and the Playboys. And I did! Saturday night, August 22nd, finds me back in the audience at The Katherine Hepburn Cultural Center. Tonight, the people sitting next to me have just pulled their sailboat into port and decided to walk to The Kate to see tonight's show. There were nine tickets left. They got two and they could not sit together. The woman sat next to me and has given me a new outlook on music. She does not know any of the groups appearing this summer at The Kate, including tonight. She is unaware that Gary is Jerry Lewis' son, in what decade they recorded, (her husband knew this) nor what songs they are famous for. HOWEVER, she recognizes and can sing along with some of them as they are performed. She asks me who Herman's Hermits, Lovin' Spoonful, Jay and the Americans, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Firefall, Orleans, The Cowsills, The Nelsons and several others are. When I mention song titles, she can relate though. I never thought about this, but why wouldn't there be fans who group together by songs only, never paying attention to the artists. Of course, this opens up problems when you like a particular song, done in a particular manner and the song has been covered by several others. Gary, himself, does songs tonight that have been recorded by others. On the other hand, she seems to be here to hear the music, not caring as much about the groups. Hmmmm.

Palisades Park

Count Me In

I'm A Believer - sung by Jamie Hilboldt, keyboards, also of The Union Gap

Sure Gonna Miss Her - last song released before Gary's draft into the Army

Love Potion #9

Little Miss Go-Go

Wooly Bully

This Diamond Ring

Tequila

California Sun - sung by Todd Bradley, drums

Sealed With A Kiss

Without A Word Of Warning

Intermission

Runaway - sung by Mike Gladstone, lead guitar

Save Your Heart For Me

Let's Dance - sung by Nick Rather, bass player

Everybody Loves A Clown

Mustang Sally - Mike singing

Green Grass

Brown Eyed Girl - Nick singing

My Heart’s Symphony

I've Just Seen A Face - Mike singing

She's Just My Style

Encore:

Slow Down

This is the first time at The Kate for Gary and his band. This is not unusual this year. MANY MANY first-timers are appearing. The House tells me that because there are so many summer residents in beach houses in Old Saybrook, they wanted to capitalize on the numbers, giving them what they wanted to see. (NO! I did not tell them I owned ten beach houses on the shore. I didn't have to fictionalize anything ... this time) As I have whined before, the only bad thing is that I cannot go to all the concerts I want to. What will happen when summer is over? I don't know. Working toward year-round influences to keep the music perking. 

Gary and his band were jumping! Literally. They laughed and joked and kept the energy high. The musicianship was excellent. Gary chose not to play guitar. Maybe that is his choice for the whole tour. I missed it because I know he plays. He was also the original drummer and has not taken that position in decades. This, however, gave him the chance to move and groove and play the tambourine. Mike covers the stage while playing guitar, and taking the lead, works up some awesome riffs and solos. They were all tight, and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing cover songs from them that I haven't heard before. 

Great night, beautiful evening outdoors as I leave, and now ... tomorrow, on to Firefall.

[you'll find THAT review on Sunday, 9/6 - kk] 

Shelley J Sweet-Tufano

NE Correspondent

Forgotten Hits


60 YEARS AGO TODAY:

9/2/66 – Actress Salma Hayek (who just became a grandmother!!!) is born  

 (Hmmm … Ol’ Blue Eyes was right! … 1966 was a very good year!)